Differences In Levels Of Compression?

Hoosierfan

My holistic doc and PCP have suggested that I wear compression stockings to help with the hypotension around my period (and as I've gotten off Ativan.....long story, but it has sent my CNS into a tailspin!).

I have a Jobst 15-20 mm/Hg pair (waist high) and I used to find that they helped a bit, but now it seems like they are not helping at all (I've worn them the past few days and still hovering at 95/55 -- grrrrrr).

Wondering if maybe I should step up to 20-30 pair??? I've only been diagnosed as having NMH, hypotension -- not POTS or as having pooling problems. So, I don't know if I should just bite the bullet and buy a pair of higher stockings. For those that have tried the various strengths, do you see a big difference??

I should also say that I've had these pair for about 6 months, wearing them 3-4 days a month -- it may be that they are just wearing out, so I did order a couple of new 15-20 pair yesterday. Just wondering if I should step it up. Really would prefer not to raise my meds (florinef, etc).

Thanks, all!!

• 2 weeks later...

I found that moving from 15-20/knee highs to 30-40/thigh highs made somewhat of a difference, but I'm currently trialing a period without them. I don't have much noticeable pooling myself, so someone with more pooling "experience" (so to speak) may have more useful input. In my experience they do start wearing out after about 6-8 months; the opaque type (rather than sheer) are more durable. Compared to raising meds, they are often lower risk and less burdensome, although the higher compression can be a pain to put on.