Help With Compression Stockings

Jennij

Hi all. My doc recommended that I try compression stockings for the pooling in my legs. I put them on for the first time today - Juzo waist high 20/30 - and I'm feeling super dizzy and symptomatic. What strength do others use? Could that be the issue?

I was told I have hyper type POTS and am hypovolemic but I am confused because NE levels weren't tested, only based on high BP while standing. Can hyper POTS be diagnosed stricty on high BP while standing during TTT?

How do we know if we should vasoconstrict or dilate? Isn't what I'm doing with the stockings vasoconstricting??

Sorry if there are too many questions in this one post.

Ohh compression stockings... the bane of my existence. If your having issues with the full set I would definitively try knee length like Diamondcut said. Its hard to wear them though especially in the summer.. We over heat easily and supposed to layer on some super tight socks?.. so much for flip flops. The blood flow when your wearing them is getting back to the places that are a bit deprived so i would assume its pretty normal to feel dizzy when first wearing them. Especially since it seems to happen to many of us. I think its kind of like a head rush. The stocking do help with vasoconstriction, so do muscles, so if you can work out your leg muscles it will help get the blood flow where it should be also. I am new to Hyper Pots personally but I know my doctor had other clinical signs he was looking for aside from BP. Although is your blood pressure rising when you stand as apposed to getting lower? That may be why he made his diagnosis. I'm not sure I understand your question about vasoconstricting and dilating?

I wear Mediven silk knee high stockings, & they do come in open & closed toe styles. I have 20-30mmHg, & I wear my open toe stockings w/ Birkenstocks. The Mediven aren't as thick, so they aren't as hot. I got a prescription, went to med supply store, & they filed insurance for me b/c the stockings are $90 a pair. I bought another brand, & they weren't as "compressive" as the Mediven.

Interesting update on the stockings....I switched to thigh high instead of waist high compression stockings and I didn't feel the same dizziness that I did immediately after putting on the waist high ones. Not sure of any real benefit yet though. Definitely felt nerve pain in my legs with them on.

And now, after just taking them off, my legs look like they do on my worst pooling days! Strange?