Midodrine/exercise

Kay107

Hello,

I am 29 and have had POTS since I was 8, but was not properly diagnosed until the age of 24. My main symptoms are syncope, near-syncope, and lack of energy. I go through periods of time where my symptoms are almost non-existant and then have flares of varying degrees. For the last two months I have experienced the worst flare I've had since 2007 (when a dr mistakenly diagnosed me with epilepsy and put me on Topamax).

I tried Florinef for this flare but we had to discontinue it, and my dr. has prescribed Midodrine. I have not started taking it because I am leery of the side effects.

While I don't like fainting and constant lightheadedness, I have learned to live with those things due to the long period of time it took to get a diagnosis. My dilemma is that I am an avid Crossfitter and this flare has really affected my energy level when it comes to the gym, and of course I do pass out after certain movements. This is the only time I feel really limited by my condition.

For those of you who have taken Midodrine, would you say that the side effects are worth it in a situation like mine where my symptoms are mild enough that they really only hinder one area of my life? I am struggling with the question of whether I should just accept that I must slow down at the gym and lift less weight or take the Midodrine and risk the side effects.

I feel kind of silly for asking but I really am in a quandry about it. Thanks for reading.

I've been on midodrine for over a year and I haven't had much for side effects either. The only thing I got was the tingly scalp and goosebumps/chills. However those have gotten nearly non-existent for me. And actually...for me the tingly scalp thing was just always a sign that okay, my meds have kicked in. I love that I can go from sitting to standing without my vision blacking out every time! :) I hope it helps you out too!