Surgery/ Anesthesia?

houswoea

Hello friends,

I'm asking this question again, I know, but I still have no answer so here we go.

Last year I fell on my shoulder and injured it. Apparently, saws the ortho surgeon and mri, I stretched out the capsule and now it's unstable. I've done lots of PT but it hasn't helped at all.

Pain wise, it's not so bad unless I'm walking or lifting or climbing, but I'm working with young children with disabilities who need to be transferred safely.

Plus, I've never had a fixable problem before!

But the doctor knows pretty much nothing about either EDS or POTS, so I know that isn't factoring into the decision.

Anyone have experience in the anesthesia or shoulder surgery area? I'm to the point where I must make a decision and call to schedule the surgery with the next 3 days. The options as presented to me are, live with it forever or have the surgery, Clearly I'm leaning towards the surgery.

Well.....in the past couple of years, I've had a lot of surgery. Be sure your surgeon and anesthesiologist know about your medical condition and that they understand what it is. I've done a lot of teaching. I found it helpful to be one of the first cases in the morning - that way, limits the amount of time you are unable to eat or drink. I agree with the advice to get a liter of IV fluids before the procedure - I've had OR staff refuse to give me fluids and I didn't fare as well as when I was adequately hydrated. I'm such a regular with the staff now that they know me and trust me when I tell them what I need. If your MD or anesthesiologist will not listen to you or seem to just be patronizing, be very wary. Be sure someone is with you that knows all about you and your condition - especially when you are trying to recover enough to go home. I plan never to have out-patient surgery again - I will be admitted for at least 24 hours after every surgery so that I receive IV fluids to rehydrate and have enough blood pressure to actually get up and walk.