Ans Test Results/ Beta Blocker Rx

joyagh

I saw my PCP today. My HR went from 60 to 85 on the TTT. When I do the stand up test I go from 60 to 99. When I do any activity it goes to 120-130. So, it's not "no sign of POTS" as the tests were interpreted, it's more like we're thinking mild POTS. I also have constant PCV's.

My BP is also all over the place - anywhere from 90/50 to 135/89.

I just started extended release Toprol today, 12.5 mg per day.

any advice on what to expect from that particular BB's?

I don't want to discourage you but of all betas I tried so far (toprol, inderal, zebeta aka metoprolol, propranolol, bisoprolol) toprol was the one I had the worst response to. I pretty much ended up being bedridden because of it. My bp plummeted, (my normal bp has always been around 90-100/50-70, and I've never had any issues with that) I was constantly exhausted, dizzy, drowsy, lightheaded, while still experiencing bouts of tachy.

In my case it took a bit of trial and error to find the "right" beta (even now, on propranolol I have a lot of side effects and my list is only getting longer - guess it's time to pay a visit to my dr).

One thing you might want to consider is that it might take a while for your body to adjust to the new med, but definitely let your dr know if something doesn't feel right.

Best,

Alex

I'm on 100mg of Toprol XR a day. I love it. If I had to pick only one med to take, it would be my bb.

I don't think I ever really had side effects from it. It's debatable if/how much it contributes to my Reynauds/acrocyanosis.

Random things I've learned:

Be careful if you use any sleep aids, even nighttime cold meds. I took some NyQuil a few years ago and it slowed my hr down more than I thought was possible. Scared the crap out of me.

It will stick around in your system for a few days, even without the pills - fairly long half-life. On the unfortunate occasions when I've forgotten to re-order my prescription, it's usually not until the 3rd day that I really start feeling sick.