Study Finds An Epigenetic Mechanism Effecting Net Function In Pots

If your body didnt break down l-arginine you wouldnt be alive :) NO has so many functions in the body. Also most cytokines are active locally rather than diffusely in blood plasma so blood measurements may be meaningless. TNF alpha as an example is often not elevated in Crohns disease other than the site of inflammation.

Jangle - I think the study stated that the cytokines they looked are were gp300 activating cytokines and the one you mention there Jangle is referred to in the study. There are a few in the family IL-6 - and interluekin 6 does seem to have a connection to some inflammatory disorders and could be - as a pure experiment but there are dietary means to reduce its expression at least potentially. Worth a crack if you can be bothered.

If your body didnt break down l-arginine you wouldnt be alive :) NO has so many functions in the body.

Ha! I'm a walking "dead" person. :) (Feels like it sometimes.) You know what I mean - l-arginine doesn't do what it should do in my body with supplementation.

Issie

Rama is correct, Issie. It is unlikely you will find any relevant findings from a serum IL-6 draw. For one thing, CNTF is just one of many IL-6 cytokines, you would need a test specifically for CNTF. However, even this would be flawed, as Rama correctly pointed out, cytokines involved in these types of inflammatory disorders tend to occur locally. For instance in Rheumatoid Arthritis, the increased IL-6 cytokines occur in the synovial fluid.

However, there might be a way to test CNTF concentrations in the sympathetic neural cells, but I do not know of it. Yes Rama I also agree it is worth trying, and I will see if I can get a doctor on board.

One thing I want to say is that, it is highly possible that these histone modifications are reversible. They have to be, because otherwise we wouldn't observe a significant percentage of people recovering.

If the theory is correct, the remissions from POTS represents a reversion in the histone/epigenetic modification. Unless one argues these people who recover had something else other than NET,

but that seems unlikely given the low standard deviation cited in the study of patients with low NET. (Meaning most of the POTS patients clustered around a lower than normal value for NET.)

Which means that NET pretty much explains the majority of POTS patients' abnormalities.

The most likely explanation for these reversals is a remission of the cytokine/autoimmune attack, but there could be something else to do with the transcription complex.

Interesting article Issie...I was definitely sleep deprived to the max with my tachycardia and sleep apnea, so that makes sense. I've always taken Flax seed oil, since my eye issues in 1999. It has Omega 3,6, and 9, so hopefully that helped. Expensive cytokine test without insurance! Didn't Rama say that the ones that were suppressing the gene, though, were not the inflammatory cytokines, but the non-inflammatory ones?