Post-Syncope Or Post-Presyncope Symptoms?

Today was the first day I almost passed out in public - in a grocery store, how typical. Thankfully I was with my partner, spotted the signs, tried to ride them out (which works sometimes), started severely graying out and losing depth perception (my "about to pass out" final tell), and sat abruptly. Thank goodness for my stool! The good news is that I can tell presyncope nausea/sweating from overheating/nausea/sweating which I was worried about given the start of summer weather.

Afterwards - for several hours - I was pretty out of it - had serious trouble talking for the first few hours (for some reason the minimal amount of signing that we use together was much, much easier; my throat felt swollen and stiff and the speech part of my brain didn't want to make me talk, similar to when I was on imipramine). Super brainfoggy too - difficulty thinking, difficulty interacting with my partner, serious fatigue, some issues with vision and the like, random laughter, getting too cold abruptly, much worse than my day-to-day symptoms. I ended up heading home and taking a nap and am mostly back to normal now, although it was touch-and-go for a little bit with some close calls before we got home.

It kind of reminds me of what friends with epilepsy describe as post-ictal, but as far as I know I don't have epilepsy and certainly nothing in this presyncopal episode looked like epilepsy. Is this a common thing for folks who do faint or get close? Is there anything you'd suggest trying in the future other than waiting it out? (I'm sure this has been discussed before, but couldn't figure out what topic to search on)

I've had some of the same symptoms you've described after pre-syncope episodes. I don't faint but do have really big drops in BP at times. These post-presyncopal episodes can wipe me out for hours or days. In addition to things you mentioned, I also get muscle tetany and the shakes afterward along with severe weakness and fatigue. Usually start dumping urine like crazy too. My cardiologists both said that it's "not normal" for a POTS type reaction and sent me to a neuro. My POTS neuro says it's not a normal POTS type reaction but thinks it must be related as he can't find anything else as a cause.

IV saline seemed to help the one time they gave it to me in this situation.

Sounds similar to what happens to me during and after a near syncope. I'm always wiped out for a few days, maybe longer. I've gotten really good at avoiding circumstances that trigger. I tell my docs I'm the Queen of compensation and avoidance.

Standing in line or in front of grocery shelves for too long is one of my triggers, as is going up steps and hills, heat/humidity, flying, some kinds of motion and some types of medical procedures are my triggers. I'm better if I'm moving or laying down.

I always feel my best when I'm laying down and a few days of that and I get a bit better, as better as you can be with this. Talking also triggers the tachy. I used to joke oh if I could find a job lying down and not talking! That was until people started laughing, and I realized they were like well there is a job like that, think oldest women's profession in the world. So I don't say that anymore. Hope that gives you a good laugh!

take care

Az Girl- Thanks for the laugh! :) I like your "queen of compensation and avoidance" phrase too. I may need to borrow it sometime. LOL

Count me in too with all of the above symptoms after a pre-syncope" spell". It's crazy sounding, but I when I used to actually go ahead and faint, I would feel better when I "woke up". For some reason, my body stopped fainting but now I have all the lasting symptoms after a pre-syncope spell.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm - totally missed all of these, for some reason the email reply notifier was borked for me. Ah well :^)

My doc says via email - "let me get back to you next week, but in general, not sure, if all your symptoms are related to POTS. (Pre-)Syncope should not cause longer symptoms, can maybe last for a day, but would not expect a week, unless you nearly passed out, because you were sick from other reasons."

So it sounds like what Chaos says - we have something that isn't expected, but I would be surprised if it comes down to anything besides the POTS in my case (at least, don't want to say for anyone else's), to be honest...