Colonoscopy Sedation

Im due to have a colonoscopy and am worried about the effect sedation will have on me. Im worried about it because when i had my c section, although i already had started getting dysautonomia in my last trimester, the anaesthetic caused a horrible reaction- Shaking, sweating for 2 days. It basically triggered my dysautonomia to become much worse. About 12 hours after surgery, i also noticed pain in my chest which turned out to be costochondritis. It's taken two years to get marginally better so im very scared of becoming worse again. I know sedation is different to anaesthetic but despite this i need reassurance. Is there anyone out there who has had a reaction to anaesthetic but been ok under sedation? The japanese have colonoscopies without any sedation so that's an option but im obviously not keen.

I've had sedation many times and I've done okay. I've also had a colonoscopy and the IV that was supposed to be administering the meds - wasn't in the vein and the med. didn't take and I wasn't at all sedated - that is NOT something I ever want to do again. It was very painful. (Mean doctor.) I've had lots of surgeries - and lots of sedations. Just be sure and tell them your reactions and they will ask if you know what they gave you and will probably use something else. Hope all goes well.

Issie

I haven't ever had anesthesia but I have to say the stuff they gave me for my colonsocopy was great. I didn't go all the way under, I babbled the whole time but I have no idea what I was babbling about. At one point I said it hurt and they upped the stuff. Afterwards, they gave me some animal crackers that I was playing with. My 22 year son was there for me, and he couldn't believe how goofy I was acting. I asked for extra crackers because I was playing, "Who will win, the giraffe or the lion" and eating the loser. I was sorry it wore off that afternoon.

As for the prep, I honestly didn't find it as bad as the flu or normal diarrhea. With the flu you have a fever and achy and don't feel well, but this is just a lot of trips to the bathroom. Just drink a lot. I ate green jello to the point that the liquid coming out was lime green. Pretty odd.

Jan- your post cracked me up : ). Glad you guys went ok with sedation. I'm such a weirdo i'm betting SOMETHING happens. I chatted with the anaesthetist today but there was so much background noise i couldnt hear what he was saying. He heard ME though which is what counts i guess (ie he knows i need fluids and that im odd).

I don't have much reaction at all to sedation, one of my oddities that gets shocked Doctor faces.

They gave me so much Versed for my colonoscopy and endoscopy that my GI doc finally said no more, because my BP was starting to drop even though they had saline wide open.

I told him I was fine, just stick the screen where I could see it.

Really wasn't that bad, I remember the entire thing. Only one real painful part, but it felt just like a really bad menstrual cramp for about 10 seconds and the rest was just uncomfy.

If you have a really good Doc I can see getting it done totally unsedated.

I really think the sedation is more to keep people calm more than anything else, it's easier for the Docs that way to do their jobs.

Nope not a redhead, though there are hints of red. I was blonde blonde as a child, now a dirty blond with hints toward red.

However my Great-Grandmother from Scotland was a red head and I could be her identical twin, it's freaky to the whole family.

Other than my hair, I'm so pale and thin skinned that you can see every vein I have.

I think my sedation issues are probably from a connective tissue disease. Dentists can't numb me either and apparently that points CTD.

Hi - GENERAL anesthesia, which you had in your surgery, is NOTHING like the twilight stuff they sedate you with for a conoloscopy.

General Anesthesia affects ADRENALINE. For me, it was so dangerous that I was hospitalized for nine weeks just to have my tubes tied from the anesthesia.

But the colonoscopy stuff is NOT the same and didn't phase my POTS or ME. So go for it! Good luck.