Just Diagnosed With Peripheral Neoropathy, Mild

Alaska

Had that nerve and muscle test done and the results came back as mild peripheral neoropathy. She stated the assumption was that it was coming from possible problems with my spine at c5 and c6, as there was a bulge that showed up in the MRI.

SO, I don't know much about this, but know that there are many things that should be looked at that could be causing this is and not to "assume". Should I be pushing them to do more testing to look for the underlying cause. I've done so many tests, you think it would have come up already (like diabetes). I know if can get worse if the underlying cause is not taken care of. Or, is this part of dysautonomia? Is being "mild" even a big deal or something to be concerned about?

Yes, be concerned because you don't want it to get worse.

There are many things that could cause it.

If there are spinal issues - what's causing that - arthritis? Needing a chiropractor? What?

Do you suspect diabetes?

Have you eliminated gluten, dairy and sugar to see if your diet could be causing some of your issues? Some of us have figured out that it makes our neuropathy worse.

Are you wearing compression hose and they are damaging the nerves from being too tight?

Since you have autoimmune issues (like me) could that be part of the problem?

There is also a gentic inherited form of neuropathy. My doc was going to do the gentic test on me to find out - since neuropathy runs in my family - but, my insurance wouldn't pay for it and it was expensive.

Just some things to think about.

Issie

Interesting, I have a herniated disc in the same spot. Any idea what caused yours? I think there's a difference between symptoms coming directly from the spine - compression caused by a disc (radiculopathy I think) and peripheral neuropathy. Correct me if I'm wrong. If symptoms are coming from the disc, there wouldn't be a need to look for underlying cause - the disc is the cause. Why did she assume it was the disc... Did EMG show something in your arm? What neuropathy symptoms do you have? I've had some confusion over this myself because I have lower spine problems and it seems when my back hurts more, my leg and feet symptoms are worse and then I wonder if the problem is actually nerve compression and not neuropathy. Or maybe it's both.

My forearm feels week and numb, sometimes a cold feeling. My other limbs sometimes just feel weak. I don't wear compression stockings (sorry, I have to say that instead of hose.. to keep some of the manliness in me). So it's probably not that. She actually told me to wear a wrist brace while I sleep, thinking maybe I sleep on it strange?? She didn't even ask how I sleep or if I even sleep on my hand/arm. So, I'm just trying to figure it out. I think I will go to my main Doc and run it by him, as that's really the role of a primary to help guide you and review to make sure things are right. I'm not trained to do that. I just wondered if I have some form of neuropathy, could I have some starting forms of autonomic neuropahty.

Regardless I've started taking the following supplement as I have be reading on various web pages, such as Mayo Clinic, that these supplements work to stop nerve damage and in some cases help restore nerve growth. I take 5 of those pills spread out in the day.

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2133328&CAWELAID=293850574