Olive Leaf - Increase No, Lower Bp, Acts Like Calcium Channel Blocker, Also Inhibit Ace Enzyme

issie

I just got my March 2012 Life Extension magazine and in it is an article on Olive Leaf and it's benefits. It says that it can lower blood pressures, increase NO levels, works to inhibit angiotension converting enzyme, works like a calcium channel blocker. I've mentioned before that Life Extension feels that the baseline medical community standards of what is considered hyper-tension is too high - right now it's acceptable at 140/90 mmHg. But, Life Extension feels like the acceptable should be 115/75. Which is really low compared to medical community's acceptable limits. They have had many articles showing why just tiny amounts of increase above this level can cause problems to veins and arteries.

It has always been my go to when I start to feel like I'm getting sick. So, now another good reason to continue taking it. Hoping it will get my bp down some more.

I know this won't work on you with OI but it might be very good for us that are HyperPOTS with possible low NO and high angiotension levels.

http://www.lef.org/m...ey=olive%20leaf

This link didn't take me to the page that I'd written down - but, hopefully you can do a search and look at the article.

Issie

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18848665

INTRODUCTION:

The norepinephrine transporter is responsible for the intracellular uptake of (131)I- iodometaiodobenzylguanidine ((131)I-MIBG), which is used for the diagnostic localization and treatment of pheochromocytomas as well as other tumors such as neuroblastomas and carcinoids. This agent is variably delivered into tumor cells by the norepinephrine transporter, but few studies have shown treatments that work to increase norepinephrine transporter activity. The objective of the present study was to test the possible beneficial effects of hydroxytyrosol in enhancing norepinephrine transporter function, which may have implications for its combined use with (131)I-MIBG in the diagnosis and treatment of pheochromocytomas.

METHODS:

Rat pheochromocytoma PC12 cells were labeled with [(3)H]-norepinephrine in the presence or absence of different concentrations of hydroxytyrosol, a naturally occurring compound with strong antioxidant properties, followed by measurements of uptake and release of radiolabeled norepinephrine.

RESULTS:

Hydroxytyrosol pronouncedly increased norepinephrine transporter activity, with the rapid onset excluding effects on norepinephrine transporter expression levels. Concomitant with increased norepinephrine transporter activity, hydroxytyrosol caused a decrease of both spontaneous and evoked norepinephrine release, indicating that it affects pre-existing plasma membrane-associated norepinephrine transporter, rather than the incorporation of novel norepinephrine transporter molecules into the plasma membrane.

CONCLUSION:

Hydroxytyrosol potently enhances norepinephrine transporter activity in pheochromocytoma PC12 cells, suggesting that combinatorial therapy employing hydroxytyrosol may improve the effectiveness of (131)I-MIBG as a diagnosis and treatment modality

Rama,

Having a brain fog night - what is the significance of this study. Are the high NE levels there to suppress things like sarcoidosis? I had a radiologist tell me that when he saw people with multiple tumors that are unexplained - his first thought is neuorfibromytosis - he said he had seen it in the POTS people that he had seen in his career. He felt like that was one of the causes of POTS for those people. Just wonder if there is a connection to high NE.

Also still wondering about why ACE inhibition - why would that be bad if you have high bp's.? Wouldn't that be like an ACE inhibitor that is sometimes given for high bp's.?

• 1 month later...