Astragalus Reduces Autoantibodies To Acetylcholine Receptors

ramakentesh

Autoantibodies to muscular nicotonic acetylcholine receptors are implicated in Myasthenia Gravis. Similar autoantibodies to ganglionic acetylcholine receptors are implicated in POTS by Mayo (Low Vernino).

Myasthenia gravis. Although astragalus is often an immune stimulant, it is immune suppressant in the treatment of myasthenia gravis, which makes it useful for this disorder. In one study, astragalus significantly reduced patients' nicotinic acetylcholine receptor antibodies, a measure of the disease's severity, when compared with antibody levels in a control group of patients.(3)

source:

Prescription for herbal healing. Phyllis A. Balch. 2002. ISBN 0-89529-869-4. Pg.26

I've used it in the past but it seems to me it was prescribed (by my herbalist) as a short term thing for an infection I had. I don't think I've used it since I've had a POTS diagnosis so wasn't paying attention to those types of symptoms when I was on it. Very interesting.....

I took a chinese herbal mix on prescription from a smoking chinese medicine guy and it included astragalus. years lter I saw another practitioner and it was one of the first on their list as well. The mixes were almost identical which I found interesting. Eucommia which is very calming and Rehmannia were also helpful but i have no idea why. dang shen for energy and some white chalky stuff. They both told me to take it three days on four days off and weirdly enougj by the third day it never worked as well until you took the next first day dose after four days. Youd be hanging out for it. Very calming though.

Interesting, I wonder if my mixture that worked for awhile would work that way. You're always supposed to cycle on and off herbals, but not usually that soon. Maybe because our bodies are so sensitive - we need much less. Maybe, I'll try my stuff that way - since it worked before.

Issie

Ill talk to my doc first as soooo many herbs have acetylcholinesterase effects like mestonin and I dont want to end up in the ER with a cholinergic crisis.

That is the thing - a positive response to mestonin is exciting because if it stops working there aer SOOOO many other medications and herbs that do a similar thing.

• 2 months later...