Sleep Disorders And Ans Dysfunction!

anna

Just been reading a bit about Insomnia in relation to ANS dysfunction and found this bit of info quite interesting;-

In a recent retrospective study, a reduction of low-frequency component of heart rate variability was observed during wakefulness in patients initially diagnosed with idiopathic REM sleep behavior disorder compared with controls; however, no difference was detected among REM sleep behavior disorder patients who subsequently did or did not develop a neurodegenerative disease (Postuma et al 2009a; (Kashihara et al 2010).

All these data and the importance of finding early markers of neurodegenerative disease indicate that systematic prospective autonomic investigations are required in idiopathic REM sleep behavior disorder patients to better clarify the association between autonomic dysfunction and REM sleep behavior disorder and their predictive role in the early diagnosis of neurodegenerative diseases.

http://www.medlink.com/medlinkcontent.asp

I have reduced "deep sleep" according to sleep study, not sure if that's the same as REM sleep. When all this began, I had episodes of being jolted awake upon falling asleep for about 12 days. I did not sleep in all that time. I got desperate and tried OTC sleeping pills and these did not work. I finally begged to be admitted to the hospital and they gave me Ambien? (something strong) and THIS did not work. It was the most bizarre thing I have ever experienced. When the severe autonomic symptoms started to lessen, sleep got better. I believe there is a tie in to sleep because of how terrible I feel after sleeping and the fact that many of us feel like we haven't slept, despite getting plenty of hours.

I do have sleep apnea, not very much REM, mouse breathes, gasping etc. Needless to say, I wasn't getting any quality of sleep and felt like I was literally dying for several years. I'm on a Cpap machine and take Clonazepam .5mg. every night now. I am so much better...still wondering what causes what?! Mostly obstructive apnea, but did you know that the average person has like one CNS apnea during the night? Strange happenings... :o

• 1 year later...

I have peripheral and autonomic neuropathy, plus ME. I have sleep apnoea, sleep paralysis and act out my dreams. These came on more so in 2007. They are getting worse and I'm getting checked out soon to see what's going on. My gut responds to all my brainwaves when sleeping and I wake suddenly with clenched gut muscles and I feel sick and dizzy with faster heart beat. I feel ill all day and weak.

I would like to hear from anyone who has these symptoms and any advice on good meds to take. I came off Nortriptyline and I wish I hadn't as it helped me sleep and stop a lot of the problems. I am going back on it this week.

All the best to everyone