Swollen!

micheller

My dr has been pushing salt and salt tablets which I have been doing. From my knees down is so swollen my legs and feet are halfway numb and hurt! I've been wearing my compression stockings to try to reduce it, put my feet up but it's not helping. Can too much salt be bad??? I can't imagine all this swelling is good. My middle is swollen too but not nearly as bad as my legs. Would taking a diuretic be ok? I sure hope I have my ankles back tomorrow!

I got this from all the extra salt too. I notice it's not as bad in the summer, probably because I need it more, but I asked if I could cut back because I did start having a lot of swelling and I noticed it didn't help my headaches. oooohh, I would not take those diuretics without talking to your doctor. It might dehydrated you instantly and make your POTS situation worse since it can cause dehydration along with other things. Hope you feel well soon.

I agree with Maiysa that I would not take a diurectic. Changing your blood volume that much and that quickly could really send your POTS into a tail spin. Can you skip the salt for a few days and see if that makes the swelling come down. Maybe you just don't need that dose of salt to retain enough fluid. Feel better.