Has Anyone Taken Fish Oil Long Term?

jangle

I see a lot of anecdotal evidence as well as some published studies about fish oil supplementation being useful in a variety of autoimmune disorders such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. A few people have said it has lowered some of their respective autoantibodies. Obviously there's a lot of logical stretches I'm making here but here goes:

POTS --> caused by autoimmune (in some people) ---> specifically it seems antiganglianic acetylcholine receptor antibodies are the most likely culprits. ----> fish oil has been shown to lower autoantibodies in a variety of other disorders (after many months) ----> maybe it can lower antiganglianic acetylcholine receptor antibodies------> Since it takes many months for fish oil to reach statistical significance in the other studies, it perhaps would take equally as long as being used in this regard. ---> hence 1 gram of EPA + 1 gram of DHA a day for 2-3 months might have some benefical effects in POTS.

I was just wondering if anyone else on this forum might have been taking fish oil supplements already and for a long period of time. Also if they suspect they might have the autoimmune version of POTS.

Well it's suspected in me that all of my multiple problems spanning multiple systems and organs is auto immune caused. I've taken high dose fish oil plus krill oil plus flax oil on the advice of many of my doctors and my own research and I've really seen no difference at all.

I've taken fish oil for at least 10 years, but only high dose for 2 years since I got sooo sick. I'm actually shocked that it hasn't helped really anything that I can tell.

My dog is on high levels for her allergies and it's helped her out in the extreme. It's almost completely eliminated her need for steroids to control her atopic dermatitis.

It hasn't helped my allergies at all. It also has done nothing for my skin, nails, or hair. And my cholesterol is at an all time high.

I'll keep taking it though, like I do everything. It doesn't give me side effects which is rare, it's supposed to be helping, so guess it doesn't hurt to keep taking it.

I've taken Fish Oil for at least a decade. All of my IM, rheumes, immunologists + cardiologists approve. I have IgA and IgG deficiencies but I've had these since before the fish oil was started and am in the process of getting IV Ig transfusions. I read that it is estimated that 1 in 700 of European decent have IgA deficiency--some have no symptoms while others suffer a lot of sinusitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, ear infections, upper respiratory infections, skin infections, conjunctivitis and need antibiotics when they get sick (often a double dose or a change of antibiotic after the first round).

I take the fish oil for heart/vascular health. It has done nothing as far as my high cholesterol but is supposed to help keep the plaque building in the arteries. But this also requires diet and exercise.