Is It Possible To Go From Hyperpots To Hypopots?

Lovebug

Has this ever happened to anyone? Lately I've been feeling faint at times when I'm standing but I have never fainted since I've been ill (at least 3 years now). My professional career is saved because I have HyperPOTS so in a strange way I'm thankful for this version. However, the times I feel faint are strange. I'm not sure if it's dizziness or some type of brain shock that I'm feeling. I just know it doesn't feel right. Anyway, wondering if anyone has experienced a change from one to the other. TIA!

We with HyperPOTS can have this - that's where the orthostatic part comes in. Ours just drops from a higher bp than others. Because we tend to have higher bp's in the first place it usually doesn't drop low enough to cause us to pass out - but we still get that feeling. Because of the drop it causes our heart rate to increase to pull it up - even though we don't really need our bp's to go any higher. But, because there is this drop and it can happen too fast, our body tries to compensate for the drop by giving us tachy. It can make you feel light headed, dizzy and just not well. It's a sickening feeling and I get naseau with it.

Issie

Issie, that makes sense to me - thanks. I can be really volatile in both BP and HR, but as a rule my BP/HR go up when I'm standing/walking, and down when I'm sitting (unless I'm in the midst of an "episode" as I've come to call them, then all bets are off because I can be volatile even when sitting/supine then). Then after standing/walking, sometimes my BP will drop and I'll feel faint but I've never completely gone into syncope (passed out) either. I don't have the nausea part - - sorry you do, that must be tough. Carol

Potsmama,

I call my episodes "storms" because they are usually accompanied by many GI issues, as well as fluctuating BP/HR. I've had HR go from 120's to 48 within a matter of minutes. My doc instructed me to take my BetaBlocker when this happens b/c my nervous system is going haywire and the Inderal will calm it down. I asked him if it is OK to still take it when my HR might be 48...he said yes & that I could get in the 30's and it would be OK. This sorta stunned me because, as a nurse, I would be taking some serious action if this happened with my patients.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!