Huge Implication For Hyper Pots People

julieph85

http://circ.ahajourn...91/10/2549.full

I just came across this. Some researchers have now decided that sympathetic activity is NOT higher in the morning. This completely goes against what every POTS dr. has said about why our symptoms are worse in the morning. Interesting to note- in the conclusion it states that the increased sympathetic activity involved in high rates of cardiac arrest in the AM is likely due to end organ hypersensitivity to norepinephrine. Could this be what's going on with us? I've been saying this all along that I don't think my overall activity is too high, it is more like my body is just overly sensitive to it. Question is, what is making us hyper pots so sensitivie to the catecholamines?

here is another one directly contradicting the previous article. The first article is newer so which one do we believe?

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199110033251402#t=article+Conclusions.

If you read this article it says alpha andrenergic activity is highest in the morning. My orthostatic hypertension, tachycardia, etc., is worst in the morning. Is it alpha andrenergic hypersensitivity? what the heck causes that besides hyperthryroidism?

Lieze, I agree with everything you just said! I have had all three things tested and mine are also normal. I also have hyper andrenergic problems in relation to my blood sugar. It never gets too low or too high, but the change from low (but still normal) to high (but still normal) such as when i haven't eaten in a while and eat something makes me have a huge sympathetic response and causes me to have a high heart rate, jitteriness, and dizziness. This happens everytime I eat and only in the morning- which is interesting because that is when all my symptoms are worse. also, at night my sympathetic activity is very low and I get lower BP and heart rate and do not have they response to eating.

I've thought cortisol before too because if I wake up/get up in the middle of the night or very early morning hours, I don't have the same reaction as I do when getting up around 7am. Cortisol rises (or peaks?) around this time and drops to its lowest in the evening (when we're least racey). My cortisol levels are normal too, but maybe it's not the actual level, but our reaction to it (I think this is what Sue is getting at too).