Blood Pressure After Surgery, How Low Is Too Low?

cmreber

Hello everyone! I just had a knee arthroscopy yesterday and I am currently taking Norco for pain control. I have been noticing that my blood pressure is running on the low side and I was wondering if anyone here has experienced the same thing? I'll probably ask my doctor tomorrow, but I'm wondering what would be too low of a pressure? It's been on average maybe around 90/60 the lowest reading being 87/52. I take 50mg of Metoprolol (a beta blocker) twice a day and I'm wondering if its that, the Norco or just an after effect of the general anesthesia. If anyone has experienced this after surgery, I'd love to hear your experience until I can talk to the doc tomorrow. Thanks! :)

Thanks Corina,

I am thinking that its probably the same for me, and most likely the gen. Anesthesia that's the culprit here. I actually have a neighbor who has been hospitalized after gen an due to crazy low blood pressure & she doesn't even have POTS. I have only had gen an once before and had no trouble at all, but that was before I had POTS. Thanks for the response and it does help to know someone else's experience with it! :)

Sorry to hear you're having troubles with this after your surgery. Mayo Clinic defines low blood pressure as anything below 90/60, and if you're not symptomatic, it's usually not an issue. Pressures that get down below 80/50 or so becomes more worrisome, but again, it depends on if you're symptomatic...dizzy, fainting, nauseous, etc.

My pressure can get down to mid to high 60s over 55 or so, but then I sometimes faint/seize when I stand up. However, everybody is an individual and you need to talk to your doctor about what pressure he would be concerned with...Perhaps a Holter monitor would see how low your BP goes. I wore one and it got down in the mid-30s, so I ended up with a pacemaker.

Your doctor is really the one to ask about what he considers concerning. Good luck!