Books On Nutritional Eating To Help With Dysautonomia

abnel

I know a lot of us go gluten free and dairy free, but I'm looking for a book that provides more specific guidance and recipe ideas on how to get at least the daily recommended intake of all the essential vitamins and minerals.

I found a book called "Minding my Mitochondria" which looks very interesting, written by a doctor who has secondary progressive MS. Within a few years of starting this diet she went from reclined and considerably disabled to being able to ride her bike again. She believes that mitochondrial dysfunction plays an important role in MS, Parkinsons and other neurological illnesses as well as potentially a range of other chronic illnesses.

Would love to hear your ideas.

Hi .. Great story ! I love hearing these success stories.

I've been hearing similiar stories on the web and in my life now for over 6 years but I can't get enough. Lol.. My dd who's been sickly most of her life is thriving on a healthier gf diet !

What an exciting time this must be to be working in the health field.

I can't think of one single book that covers everything. In reading her info on the web, I didn't see hormones

mentioned .. Or oxalates or glucose .. Or dysautonomia .. Or dysbiosis ..

I didn't read her book but I checked her out on the web. She even has a clinical trial accepting patients. If you'd like the link, please send me a PM.

Fwiw. I can't do her diet because I have an oxalate problem. I'm not sure where she stands on carbs

or high glycemic foods either but those are out for me too. I have hyperinsulinemia ..

Bottom line, imho, a mostly paleo diet which reflects personal intolerances is the way to go. After that,

supplements are dependant on each person's need.

Tc .. D

Thanks so much Dizzy for sharing your thoughts with me. It's good to be reminded that we all have individual requirements to take into consideration.

I found her story compelling and I viewed a lecture she gave on Youtube (there are a whole series up there). In the "Assigned Interventions" column of that link you sent me they describe her diet as based upon the Paleo diet.

My problem with the paleo diet is that my digestive system does not process nuts and seeds properly. I would have to have my nuts crushed or blended somehow in order to absorb them.

I guess we have to make our own path on this journey!

Have you tried raw nuts and seeds ? I can't eat cooked or even dehydrated nuts or seeds

but I can eat them raw. Also, there is a raw Jungle peanut on the market that isn't bothering me.

These are high oxalate foods tho so anyone with an oxalate problem shouldn't eat very many at one time.

If you find a book or website please let me know .. Hmm, maybe Dr. Mark Hyman has more on this ..

Tc .. D

I haven't tried raw nuts and seeds. Are they easier to digest than cooked or dehydrated nuts?

Will keep you posted if I find out anything else about food specifically for dysautonomia. Someone should write a book!

Just looking at your signature you have accomplished a lot through dietry changes. Good for you! If you ever find anything that helps your POTS/OI I'd love to hear about it. I've also cut out coffee (gives me bad tachy) and I don't get the crashes anymore that I used to with coffee as my crutch.

Thanks for the kudos lotusflower, it's been a real education for me. I have a math / computer

background and never thought I'd need to be my own doctor. Live and learn ..

Raw nuts and seeds are better for as their fats turn rancid when heated. Supposedly,

dehydrating these at a low temp stops the fats from becoming rancid, but I still can't digest

them ..

The big problem with nuts and seeds is that most facilities process wheat too ! I can't tell

you how many times I've had this message re-enforced .. Duh .. Even the ones in the shells

aren't safe if they're packaged in a facility that processes wheat..

I recently bought fresh pumpkins and just ate the seeds .. Expensive but oh so good ..

Tc .. D