Ptosis Relieved With Midodrine

rach73

Hi,

Something strange has happened - a good strange lol. Since starting midodrine my ptosis that I've had for nearly 4 years has resolved.

My eye closes completely when I am having a bad spell and most days I look like I have a lazy eye. The only thing that ever resolved it before was mestinon, which is why I had years of tests for myasthenia gravis.

The first day I took midodrine I had really bad ptosis and one hour after taking the tablet it resolved. 2 weeks on I woke up with bad ptosis and one hour after taking midodrine it was gone. In 4 years the only thing that ever resolved my ptosis without taking drugs was bed rest, it never resolved without medication (mestinon) or bed rest.

I have measured by BP when I have ptosis and it can be low or it can be normal so I am struggling to comprehend why the midodrine works. Obviously both mestinon and midodrine up my blood pressure and resolve my stroke like symptoms ( I not only get ptosis but my whole face drops also so I look like I've had a stroke).

I just wondered as I know there are a few on you on here with ptosis found the same thing when taking midodrine or am I still a medical mystery lol!

Thanks

Rach

I get this as well. One doctor said it was because I was depleting my norepinephrine or showing signs of too little norepinephrine with paradoxical hyper symptoms. Another doc suggested its because POTS and MG are related in that they may be related to similar autoantibodies. The autoantibodies in MG are more related to all acetylcholine receptors whereas in POTS they seem specific or may be specific.

Interestingly, MG patients also exhibit autoantibodies to A1 and beta 2 receptors both implicated in POTS.