Good News! I Was Able To Go For One Of My First Bike Rides This Week. Yay!

Maiysa

HI All,

I've been very sick since June and haven't really had a good day in months. I had a cold that triggered dysautonomia worse than ever, as well as constant 5 months of menstrual cycles with a few week break now and then that created some very intense issues and then of course the desert heat triggered what was already triggered and anemia...blah blah blah. My blood pressure was quite the yo yo and I was sick!. Anyhow, Dr. Goodman's nurse called and asked if I was moving-exercising?....and I told a lil lie...and said, yes? I wasn't really lying, I did tiny bits of yoga three days this month and took a walk..twice. :) but I knew that's not what she meant. I think the nurse knew I was full of it. :D I used to be very very athletic, but haven't been able to do much in 5 years. She said, you have to keep moving, it's important! Okay...I answered sadly. Who wants to exercise when you feel like crud? But okay. The most I've been able to do in 5 years, and it was a good day, was 12 minutes on the treadmill but it made me feel uncomfortable and dizzy with pressure in the back of my head. So I had bought a used pilates power gym, that messed up my neck in one use, then we got an elliptical, that made me dizzy. I used to be addicted to my mountain bike and have missed it so much...I thought there is no way I will be able to do that, but what have I got to lose. So we granny'd up my bicycle with new handle bars-so I don't have to lean and a granny seat for comfort. The purple handle bar tassle's were tempting but I had to say NO. Anyhow, the first day I got so dizzy that I had to lay on the sidewalk after just a short ride-I didn't know how I was going to get home. Then I didn't feel too great afterwards. So my sweet neighbor went with me the next few days. It was really a rough 5 days and afterwards was a bit difficult and I mostly stayed on the couch. But today my husband went with me and I think after a week, I am up to 3 miles total-with half of it being down hill, but it was easier and I didn't get sick after. We even did a slight incline. I thanked God the entire way up the bike path that I have missed so much. Of course I walked some of it...but I didn't care, I was so happy. I don't know what tomorrow brings or next month, but it has at least given me some hope. But am sad to say my husband crashed in the bushes on our busiest street in our little town. After I saw he was okay, I could hardly keep from laughing. People were honking. And he was worried about me! Luckily he has a great sense of humor and he was just fine. Poor guy. We've been teasing him all night. Anyhow, I'm vowing to do as much riding as I can and when I can. I've had so much taken from me that it felt like such a huge victory. I can no longer travel very far and for sure no plane rides, goodbye to my awesome job, no wine, no chocolate, no coffee, not too much laughing or crying or I will black out, but if I can ride my bike, it all seems not so bad. Thanks for listening. We will see how it goes.

Congrats! I used to go for long mountain bike rides before all this started. I've been able to do a few bike rides (maybe 6?) since June. Actually got up on a couple of trails this summer (in the full moon since I couldn't take it in the heat.) Most of the time I just did the bike path which is relatively level.

It really was wonderful when I felt well enough to go again, so I can certainly relate to how exciting it is when you can accomplish something now that you did in the past without even thinking about it. I seem to have nasty backlashes when I do these rides though so haven't been able to do it as often as I'd like. I try to be consistent with walking at least, but even that has been a big challenge the past couple of months.

So glad you got to have a big success like this. Hope it continues to be a good activity for you to do!

I miss my bike. It hasn't been out since spell on it this spring and doc restrictions to stationary recumbent bike--says I'll have fewer warnings. I rode 10 miles every day on my old standard bike. I won the first 100 mile 2 day bike trek on my old bike, too (when all these guys had these really fancy, expensive bikes). Just something about breathing in the fresh air (and I have asthma/COPD), the wind and the sun. Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! I'll bet it feels like winning a marathon. Travel safe.

Thank you all!

Rubytuesday...that's a lot of miles. Good for you. I hope you can get back to it soon!

Thanks for the encouragement Chaos-full moon summer bike rides-I will have to remember that next summer.

And thanks Katybug & Dizzy for the encouragement!

I took a break today. I noticed I'm having a lot of bruising....a lot...around my knees and all over my calves. Probably not used to pumping all that blood. :rolleyes: