What Helps You Recover From A Flare Up?

persephone

I'm just coming out of a nasty flare up following serotonin syndrome and a UTI that spread to my kidneys.

I became a bit of a human spirit level, but am becoming more upright now.

for about 7 weeks I've been extremely unwell; too sick to study and am at home with my parents. I reached a turning point today after being utterly spoonless for almost 2 months.

What have you all found helpful for recovering from a flare up?

I try not to push myself too far; to lie down when I need to, but make sure I walk each day and spend time upright. I try to recharge and put my energy into recovery. I take time away from the PhD I'm working on, and move back to my parents' because I become too unwell to cook or to look after myself properly when living alone. It totally *****, especially as I can be quite high functioning when I'm *not* in a flare up. I sometimes wonder if it's as hard as having no let up from symptoms at all - having a taste of normality, or POTS-free living that's then taken away, can be so painful.

persephone,

The emotional roller coaster of the good times/bad times of POTS is really had for me too. But, I just try to remind myself to be grateful for the good days because some people don't get any good days.

It sounds like you are doing what you can to recover. Pushing yourself but not too far. Do you have a recumbent bike or the pedalers where you can sit in a chair and pedal like your on a bike? I have found that it really helps to do this regularly but it is something I can do on most days that I can't walk.

Glad you are starting to feel better.

Im also an episodic type although it never completely goes away. Its actually hard to explain to friends why two weeks earlier on holiday i was the life of the party and now I cant even go into a shop without feeling like Im going to faint...

the things that have helped me from my flare ups:

* moving around as much as possible - avoiding sitting or standing still for prolonged periods. I can tell when ive over done it because my hands and feet go purple

* licorice was my saviour for years but now it just makes me anxious for some reason (its great for the spaced out dizziness, but seems to amp you u a bit

* trying to enjoy life (which is hard when you feel terrible, especially in public busy places that over stimulate)

* more recently a chinese herb and lots of time out in the forest seemed to help.

But honestly on reflection I think all of these things help - exercise, all the different things doctors tell you to try - but nothing works like time...

Not all of us wax and wane. ive often wondered if there anything specific about our waxing and waning presentation that makes it different from other presentations?

Serotonin syndrome is a serious condition-do they know what caused it in your case?

It sounds like your body has been through some real physical challenges here lately...I'm glad you pulled through okay and sorry you're feeling so weak right now.

I have a hunch my serotonin levels run high based on what I'm reading and my experience taking the serotonin blocker.