Trying To Find An Article

corina

It has been reported that SSRI's may be effective in treating the chest pain that is associated with dysautonomia (Low, 2000).

this is from the "what helps" section of this website and i'm trying to find this article but so far (after 3 hours browsing through the internet) didn't succeed. i know it's me and my brain fog :) but is there anyone out there able to help me find it?

i need it to try help find out if my weaning off of the ssri's could be the cause of my recurrent orthostatic trouble. next to the ssri i'm on octreotide lar (injections every 4 weeks) which help tremendously but now i'm at 5mg seroxat i'm getting in trouble again and seem to get worse every day now.

corina :)

Maybe this will help you some...

I did fine on Zoloft for about 7 years. I had anxiety, although maybe it was dysautonomia? Anyway, whenever I tried to get off of it I would get symptoms again. When I came down with "POTS" I had been off of Zoloft for about 2 months. I think my body needs serotonin. I always worry about being on an anti-depressant, but she said "you can't think of it like that. a diabetic needs insulin and you may need this drug and that ok!"

I did not find that article but this was pretty good about the off label uses of ssri's... http://www.aafp.org/afp/2003/0801/p498.html

It has a whole section on how they might help.. "SSRIs appear to be effective in some patients with neurocardiogenic syncope that is refractory to standard therapies. Clinical experience supported by ongoing research continues to expand on the broad array of therapeutic applications for this class of medication..."

From my experience, I think the SSRI's did help with chest pain and autonomic dysfunction. I did not stay on them long term because they made my pupils dilate too much and the doctor wanted to see if that would go away when I stopped them. I was also on florinef and propanolol at the time though so the combination helped. I also had ocreotide shots in the hospitals that helped tremendously at first but eventually were not needed. I also had c.diff though so a lot of the blood was traveling to my splanchnic region and explained why i needed the ocreotide shots. I would rule out any other GI causes just to make sure they aren't contributing to the pooling of blood in your splanchnic region... those are just my thoughts. hope you find your article :)

that's just what i thought wyominggal: maybe my body just needs it. i've been trying to wean off of the ssri over a year ago (before starting the octreotide) but didn't succeed at all at that time. now that i'm on octreotide i succesfully weaned off all of my other meds except for the ssri and just thought i'd give it a try. my gp (who works really really well with me) and i decided to up the ssri again and hopefully get better.

jackiemxoxo, thanks for finding that article for me and sharing your own experiences with the meds you've been on. i don't have any gi problems (as far as i know) but the octreotide really gave me my life back. not able to get back to work (yet, if ever), but on my feet again where i was homebound most of the time only able to go out in my power chair for short periods of time now and then.

again, thanks for helping me!

corina :)

All references on the DINET site are listed at the bottom of each page. So, what you're looking for is listed, and you can see from the way it's listed, that it's either his verbal report at the conference, or was in handout materials presented, rather than an article.

Low, P. A. (2000, July). Orthostatic intolerance. National Dysautonomia

Research Foundation Patient Conference. Minneapolis, Minnesota.