Increasing Fluid And Salt - Nausea

PetuniasMom

Do any of you do salt tabs instead of eating salty foods, or do any IV saline to increase fluids? My daughter was doing not to bad, but we are experiencing somewhat of a crash. Increasing fluids is so hard because of nausea, and same with the salt intake - she has done well to modify her diet to include salty stuff, and has increased her daily sodium intake somewhat. But with the fatigue and exhaustion that has returned, as well as the head pain and nausea, her diet doesn't contain as much sodium as she probably needs.

Who can drink all that fliud when they're nauseated to begin with? What do you do?

Oh, I can so relate. When I was really nauseated I took some Phenergan or Zofran and it helped enough that I could get more fluids. For some reason I could take more with a straw so I did that, too. But when I started on doxepin the nausea really got better so maybe you could ask her doctor if her meds need to be re-evaluated? Nausea is torture and I hope she can get through this rough patch soon.

My son take Thermotabs salt pills. He doesn't get enough fluids either. His main issue is nausea, followed by extreme fatigue. It is hard to drink enough when nauseated. Doxepin was a short lived help to him, but nothing else has ever helped his nausea. His doctor has talked about IV but is not making any changes right now; we are scheduled at the Mayo Clinic in October. We are going to see what comes of that first.

Christy

Thermo tabs made Kyler very nauseated and gave him diarrhea. They work for some people but the main problem is that they pull the fluid that you drink into your intestines faster than it can be absorbed into your blood stream where you want it - If it can get into your blood stream water follows it and creates the volume expansion that helps with POTS symptoms. He eats a lot of high sodium foods instead and that has helped a lot. Midodrine has helped Kyler the most with his nausea. He now takes 10 mgs every 2 hours and can take 15 mgs if he is feeling bad. He has goose bumps all the time but no other negative side effets - it really helps the major blood pooling that he has. The blood pooling steals blood from his intestines and that causes his nausea.