Adoption And Pots

lavender

My husband and I are very interested in adoption. I have POTS. We're just starting to look into adoption and it sounds like for a lot of agencies and countries, the fact that I have a chronic illness is going to be a problem. Has anyone here been able to adopt with POTS in your medical records? Thanks!

My husband and I adopted from China 11 yrs ago and I know they really changed their requirements for health of parents since then making it very difficult. The wait right now is about 5 yrs but much, much shorter for special needs (which might simply be a slightly older child). Anyway, what I was going to add is that regardless, you should be very honest about your current condition, prognosis (currently thought that pots isn't progressive), a statement from your Dr. regarding his opinion of your ability to care for a child, your plan A, plan B, and plan C regarding how the child would be taken care of should you be unable to (family members, church family, etc...) I will say that a slightly older child is less physically taxing. My friend adopted a 4 yr old from Russia and she has been a wonderful addition to their family, was able to take care of herself in many ways, care for her clothing, and so on. Our children are terribly spoiled. I hope this helps.

My hubby and I started trying to adopt over 2 years ago but were told that it would be very unlikely that birth moms would choose us due to my medical history. Also we tried adopting internationally but were told my illness and disability were problematic.

Since then we became certified as foster parents and tried to adopt through our state's foster system. This is not for the faint of heart! We took in a 16 m/o and she stayed with us for 15 months, as well as a 4-lb preemie who stayed with us a few weeks and another preemie who was coming off heroin and stayed with us a few weeks. We hoped to become the forever home for each of these little ones. However God had other plans and they were returned to their families eventually.

As far as my health went, taking care of these little ones was extremely difficult but we want to become parents so badly! Our foster agency only had praises about us, and were thrilled with the one-on-one time the kids received from us constantly. The kids blossomed and were evidence that a loving home does wonders.

We are now taking a break from foster care and have resumed our efforts toward private adoption. Guess what? Now that I've proven myself capable of being a full-time mom even with a disability, other doors are opening and we're sending off our home study to Taiwan within a month! If Taiwan doesn't work out, we have been told by our adoption agency that we would be great candidates for their domestic program as well. :)

Please PM me for more specifics.

Being a mom is awesome but my 18 month old wears me out BAD. I LOVE her to death, but some days I dont know how to make it through the day. Just make sure you are in a really good place with your POTS before you take on a child. Its the 24/7 care that is so exhausting. I am not too sure about adoptions, but I do want one more child someday. I was thinking about adopting also because pregnancy was really hard one me. Good luck!!