New Organ To Wonder About

Friedbrain

I was cleaning out my bookmarks and started reading up on various health issues that I hadn't thought about in a long time.....and came across something that I hadn't previously thought of: symptoms of hyperthyroidism also sound like symptoms of crises. In fact, in wikipedia, it says that the symptoms can resemble an "overdose of adrenaline".

I'm just now looking into this, so don't know much, but would be interested in knowing if others have had their thyroid hormone levels checked during a crisis. I have been hypothyroid since a teen, and on replacement hormone for decades, so the thyroid is not something I usually think about or worry about. But.....assuming I have functional thyroid tissue left, could it be "pushed" during times of stress, resulting in hyperthyroid symptoms in times of crisis? I've never had my thyroid checked during crises (like the ER); only during times of stability. Even now, I'm waiting a month to have my thyroid re-checked because of the stress of moving probably threw everything off.

Just a thought. It would be interesting to have T3 levels measured during a crisis.

I have a looong history with the thyroid. Hashimotos for probably 15 years, measuring levels off/on over the whole time. Mostly normal. Then offered different thyroid meds over the mid-2000 years: t4 only, t3 only, t4/t3 meds combined. When I was hyper by labs, I felt a more pounding heart, hot!(mostly t3 did this), and really worse sleep issues.

I had my thyroid out in 2008, and even though I've kind of gotten leveled, when I would go hyper via labs, sometimes I noticed it and sometimes I didn't. I have not noticed any change in my POTS stuff whether I am hypoish, normal or hyper. For me, I feel they are a separate issue and not related.

There's so much I could say on this topic, but, I'll begin here.

I must take a thyroid pill because I do not have a thyroid:it was removed for cancer 40 years ago.

I believe that in my case, the doctor needs to test me for Free T3 ,Free T4 and TSH to get the entire picture. It is no longer easy for me to remain at the optimal thyroid hormone levels by taking 1 pill (Synthroid), though my doctor has not reached that conclusion yet.

Absolutely, the hormone affects everything including my POTS symptoms. If my FT3 is too low, even if the FT4 and TSH are fine, I am more orthostatically intolerant, more fatigued. etc.

Since I am in the middle of my own journey to figure out what my optimal levels are on the FT3 FT4 and TSH tests, this is all I can say at this point.