Biopsy For Sfn Today

I saw a POTS Dr. today that specializes in neuropathy. He suggested the biopsy (which I was really hoping for) for SFN and was able to do it today. It takes about 2 weeks to get the results. He agreed that SFN can cause POTS symptoms, but explained even if it came back positive it's not the answer - we then have to find out what's causing the SFN. Very smart, kind, patient man... if anyone in the NYC area is looking for a decent Dr. I would recommend him. Dr. Weimer at Columbia University. (And I don't like many Dr's.)

Naomi

Hi Naomi,

I was confirmed with the small fiber neuropathy and POTS with my neurologist through other tests rather than the biopsy. I had a thermoregulatory sweat test, which was very humbling in a disposable bathing suit. And yes, they take pictures. And the QSRT test as well as the TTT. All were positive. My neurologist said most the time SFN is idiopathic with no explaination for onset. Very frustrating. But mine is complete from the waist down and 40% from the waist up. The neurologist that read out the results said the POTS is because of my extreme lower extremity involvement. So mine is mostly muscular twitching, tremors and pain in my feet and legs and right fingers/hand and left upper arm. As well as the shortness of breath, chest pain, dizziness and brain fog.

Hope you find your answers! Good luck!

Jennifer