Heather, Article On Protein Transporter

sue1234

Heather, I know we talked a little about protein transporters. I went to my geneticist appt., and they didn't think my bone disorder was related to my POTS. They totally played down the SLC+POTS connection, so a dead end for me. But, they did do blood and urine to look at specific amino acid levels in my system. I am still waiting to hear on those results.

I found this very new article on PubMed, speaking about the neutral amino acid transporters. It is like you said, the SLC6 family is related to transporters at the kidney and/or intestine level, and affect the renin-angiotensin system. If you see further down in the article, it mentions its relevance to Hartnup disease. That is what I am being tested for, as I end up with blue-ish urine if it sits for 12 hours or more. It has been pretty consistent for a year now. I have for probably 10-15 years been getting a mysterious blue-ring around my personal toilet. I had no clue why, I just assumed it was related to whatever toilet bowl cleaner I was using at the time. BUT, I have only used Clorox for the last few years, and it is still happening--only in the toilet that is exclusively mine. I still think this is all too coincidental!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21814048

I hope maybe you and your boss might be able to use your knowledge and think through if POTS might be linked.

Hi sue1234,

It looks like an interesting article. Do you have the full-text? All I could get was the abstract and it wanted me to pay $20 for the article.

Sorry you hit a dead end with the transporter stuff, but it will be interesting to see what your tests show. I had never heard of Hartnup disease. I think I would freak out if I had blue pee! I'm not sure if myself or boss will be able to be of much help, but I'd definitely be willing to look at the article and see if I can find anything.

Heather

No, I don't have access either to the full article. And, I only mentioned the Hartnup to let you know about my possible health connection to the SLCs, not really for you and your boss to figure anything out about me and my possible Hartnup. I just mentioned it as you originally said you might talk to your boss about SLCs in general and if they could have anything to do with POTS.