Suggestions For Starting The Day

Olive

I have been working night shift and the first couple of hours I struggle. My heart rate races, I feel faint, and I'm diaphoretic. Monday I start day shift for a month and was wondering what others do to help minimize symptoms. I don't want to faint while taking care of a patient. Then I become the patient.

Hi Ollie,

I work dayturn and set my clock to get up earlier than scheduled. For instance, 9 am is my start time, I get up between 6am and 6:30am. I start drinking salt/sugar water (salt load), coffee and begin taking my medications with Midodrine taken around 7am. I go really slow with getting ready for work. I sit and lay down in 10-15 minute increments to rest between getting ready. I bathe/shower in stages-alittle at a time. I have a shower chair and sprayer in the tub. I also sit down to brush my teeth, put my make-up on and get dressed. I usually get my thigh high or panty support hose (30-40mmhg) before I finish dressing. This helps with my blood pressure. Once I am ready, I pack a lunch as I can't eat foods high in fat. I sit down to do that too. I try to spend any extra time resting before I leave for work. I even try to get in one more cup of coffee Lol. Caffeine helps me too. I can tell when my medication begins to work and usually by the time I reach work, I am not experiencing any symptoms of weakness, head feeling full, palpitations, etc....This is what I experience every morning. Good luck and keep us posted.:)