Breathlessness

starby

My grandmother keeps urging me to try "breathing with your stomach." I haven't tried it for breathlessness, but maybe it could work. Taking deep breaths.

Also, something I learned in karate that could be helpful is to take a deep breath and hold it for two seconds, then let it out slowly. I know it works when you've exerted yourself, but for general breathlessness I don't know.

I get this problem a lot and I never think to do anything except breathe faster. That only makes me lightheaded, so I should probably start taking my own advice!

Shortness of breath is my worst symptom.

There are 4 things that help me:

1. fanning air on my face with an electric fan;

2. staying cool - wearing my ice vest if necessary;

3. wearing compression hosiery.

4. time and staying calm; ie trying not to panic.

Compression hosiery works for me because I think my SOB sometimes relates to low blood pressure. So if you have a tedency to be hypotensive (especially after exercise, food consumption, hot weather, etc) compression hosiery might help.

Unfortunately ventolin and asthma medications have only given me very short term relief (we're talking say 20 minutes relief at the most), but they may work for you.

I really cannot recommend holding your breath. This will undoubtedly play around with your blood pressure too much and may not be good when you are in a breathing crisis. If blood pressure has anything to do with breathing issues (which it may do for some of us), I don't think holding one's breath would help.

Best of luck - I really hope it eases up for you soon.