Medication Dependence

Libby

I love my midodrine. I really like not feeling like I'm going to pass out or throw up when I'm standing. But I've noticed that in the mornings, before I take it, the head rushes I get when I stand up are more intense than they used to be. At night I've started having them too, which wasn't unheard of pre-midodrine but it definitely wasn't daily. And I've been having a lot more pre-syncope moments (way, way too nauseous for my liking) after the midodrine wears off/between doses.

But I'm starting to wonder if the POTS is getting worse (which could definitely be the case) or if my body is really leaning heavily on midodrine as a crutch and slowly forgetting how to function without it.

I take between 1 and 3 midodrine daily, depending on what I'm doing, how much activity I'm planning, etc. I've been hesitant to take the max number each day...I can function without it, and I just don't want that option to be taken from me, you know?

So, does taking midodrine mean that I'll have a tougher time with symptoms when the med's not in my system (as compared to my symptoms pre-midodrine)?

That hasn't been my experience, but we're all different.

Midodrine was a life saver for me when I started it. Have been on it for a year and a half. Now, some days I really feel like I need it and can't miss a dose, then there are other days where I get to the end of the day and realize I missed a couple of doses, but had felt ok without it. I definitely have flares of my symptoms where I realize how dependent I am on my meds to be able to function daily. And other times where I'm doing pretty well and think I can start weaning off some things.

Instead of fighting myself about taking the meds that help me, I've started trying to be grateful that I live in a time and place where meds are available that DO help me.

Summer heat does tend to flare a lot of people's symptoms so maybe this is what's happening for you and that's why you're feeling more symptomatic between doses? Just a thought.