Article In Newspaper In Uk

rach73

Hi,

Just thought I would share with you this artcle from the Daily Mail in the UK

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2014112/Drinking-water-bad-health-Benefits-myth.html

It made me laugh as I am constantly thirsty and like many of you have been told to drink loads and take more salt. So does anyone think there is any truth behind it?

As for myself I will be continuing to drink loads as I can't stand the dry mouth and the raging thirst I get.

Rach

There's definitely truth behind it. A few years ago there was a widely publicized news story about a woman who died of hyponatraemia trying to win a Wii in a radio station contest. The person who could drink the most water without going to the bathroom would win the game console. The radio station refused to stop the contest even though multiple doctors called in and said what a stupid idea it was.

But it's not anything anyone here has to worry about, I don't think. The huge amounts of water that woman drank threw off the salt balance in her body, which messes with nerve function. If she had been drinking an electrolyte solution instead she would have been fine. With the large amounts of salt most of us take in, it makes sense that we'd drink more water than someone who doesn't salt load.