Has Anyone Had Pots That Developed Spontaneously

After reading the post on viruses and other illnesses that may have caused POTS I thought it would be interesting to find out about others like me who developed POTS spontaneously. If so, what has been the course of your illness? What were your first symptoms ? Has your illness progressed or stayed the same.

Mine developed a little over a year ago. Initially I thought it was a sleep disorder because I was tired all the time but was not sleeping well. Over the course of a few months the tachycardia started and eventually the neck and back pain, head pain, chest discomfort,etc. It has waxed and waned over the past year but I have not had an entire day when I felt well since September, 2010.

Lynne

For my son, when he was in the fifth grade he had frequent stomach aches and abdominal pain. He missed 20 days of school. Sixth grade, add vomiting to the mix(20 days absent), 7th grade, add migraines to the mix and 30 days of missed school. Eighth grade add tremors, sleep issues, dizziness and nausea. He missed half of the days of his 1st semester and stopped going completely his second semester. He will be a junior in the fall. So it has been a long journey.

No virus associated. He had a growth spurt his 8th grade year and we believe that exasperated it.

Christy

My son had frequent stomach aches and eating issues since he was about 4 but was able to function normally and was always very athletic. At 14 he started high school and cross country. We believe the excess exercise and stress triggered pots. It started with vomiting during exercise, exercise intolerance, fatigue, very frequent nausea, excess thirst and dizziness when standing. After months of testing we ended up at Froedert and he was diagnosed and put on a beta blocker, salt tablets and prilosec. These medications helped a little but he stopped them all when he went to college. He says he is somewhat better but I think he has just modified his life around the illness. His pots is not as severe as others on this forum as he is able to function but no where near what his former life was like. His doctor was optimistic that he would recover in his early twenties but still no sign.

Janie