Type Of Virus That Started Your Pots/dys

sue1234

Type of virus that started your POTS/Dys  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just talked to our doctor last week about this subject. Two years ago, K had a TERRIBLE flu with very high fevers! It was the one year I didn't get my kids vaccinated and she had the worst respiratory flu I've ever seen (and I work in healthcare as an Occupational Therapist!). It lasted 4-6 weeks then she developed something called Labrynthitis and within a few months had mono. Since then she has had one bizarre illness after another leading up to now. Our suspicion is that for K, this started with that flu somehow.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know what mine would technically fall under. I had strep throat that kept getting misdiagnosed as a viral infection "that would get better in a week or two" for a year straight. Finally, I had a doctor smart enough to do a strep culture instead of the quick strep test and it came back positive. I don't think strep throat is a virus though, but it pretty much started all of this.

And you can wonder which came first the chicken or the egg. Was the strep just a secondary infection and was there another virus going on that made you more susceptable to the strep...we'll probably never know will we?

When I had my first collapse and an internist looked back at my blood work from the hospital that day he said it was indicative of viral syndrome.

But he rechecked labs in a month and I was not showing signs of that but still felt like poo.

I felt no different than I did when I supposedly had the syndrome.

I think it was CMV. It could have been EBV, but I had tested positive for a new CMV infection and an active EBV infection. I also had a horrible strep infection at that time. I had been in a car accident and I told the dr that my neck hurt and he gave me a cervial collar and when I could not swallow a few days later the dr looked in my throat and there were so many spots. It was the worst strep infection I had as far as pain. I have had several strep infections that last 6+ weeks.

My latest and worst POTS flare up started when I had a very stressful 6 weeks of barely any sleep (my child was in the hospital) and my CMV and EBV recativated. I think I worry more about CMV because the first infection I had got so bad it went to my eyes. I could have lost my sight. Every POTS flare up surrounds a stressful, lack of sleep time and the viruses being active now.

One of my pet peeves if everytime the doctors see the CMV so bad and my immune system is weak they order an HIV test! I keep telling them it is not possible(I have no high risk activites, so unless the hospital gave it to me there is 0% chance) and they are all negative. I always wonder what the insurance thinks of me.