Systolic and diastolic

king_saladin

When I search for info about blood pressure online, I usually find example explanations involving a high systolic/diastolic or low systolic/diastolic. But nothing really regarding each measurement individually.

Measuring my BP a few minutes ago, I had 133/40.

This is after taking proamatine and driving. I feel quite more comfortable than I usually do just after driving home. Also feel the side effects of proamatine (tingling hair)

Pulse is norm... 59bpm. When I'm just sitting around, it's almost always below 60bpm. Sometimes as low as 45bpm.

133/40... is this something to take note of? Any dangers there? I have POTS-like orthostatic intolerance.

Thanks for any help.

I found this site

Blood Pressure

What is blood pressure?

Blood pressure is the pressure of the blood against the walls of the arteries.

Blood pressure results from two forces. One is created by the heart as it pumps blood into the arteries and through the circulatory system. The other is the force of the arteries as they resist the blood flow.

What do blood pressure numbers indicate?

The higher (systolic) number represents the pressure while the heart contracts to pump blood to the body.

The lower (diastolic) number represents the pressure when the heart relaxes between beats.

The systolic pressure is always stated first and the diastolic pressure second. For example: 118/76 (118 over 76); systolic = 118, diastolic = 76.

Blood pressure below 120 over 80 mmHg (millimeters of mercury) is considered optimal for adults. A systolic pressure of 120 to 139 mmHg or a diastolic pressure of 80 to 89 mmHg is considered "prehypertension" and needs to be watched carefully. A blood pressure reading of 140 over 90 or higher is considered elevated (high).

How can I tell if I have high blood pressure?

High blood pressure usually has no symptoms. In fact, many people have high blood pressure for years without knowing it. That's why it's called the "silent killer." Hypertension is the medical term for high blood pressure. It doesn't refer to being tense, nervous or hyperactive. You can be a calm, relaxed person and still have high blood pressure.

A single elevated blood pressure reading doesn't mean you have high blood pressure, but it's a sign that further observation is required. Ask your doctor how often to check it or have it checked. Certain diseases, such as kidney disease, can cause high blood pressure. In 90 to 95 percent of cases, the cause of high blood pressure is unknown.

The only way to find out if you have high blood pressure is to have your blood pressure checked. Your doctor or other qualified health professional should check your blood pressure at least once every two years, or more often if necessary.

Optimal blood pressure with respect to cardiovascular risk is less than 120/80 mm Hg. However, unusually low readings should be evaluated to rule out medical causes.

Related AHA publications:

Heart and Stroke Facts

Understanding and Controlling Your High Blood Pressure (also in Spanish)

Shaking Your Salt Habit

High Blood Pressure in African Americans

High Blood Pressure and Stroke

"How Can I Reduce High Blood Pressure?" in Answers By Heart kit (also in Spanish kit)

"What Is High Blood Pressure Medicine?", "Why Should I Limit Sodium?" and "How Can I Monitor My Weight and Blood Pressure?" in Answers By Heart kit

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4473