Question About Blood Pressure.

yuliya

So I got bored as I tend to do easily and decided to give myself a poor man tilt test at home just to see what I would get in numbers. Laying down I got a blood pressure of 129/68 with a pulse of 75, on standing one minute I got a pulse of 95 and the same blood pressure and then I realized that I was squeezing my legs and butt super hard, as soon as I let go my blood pressure went to 110/90 and a pulse of 112. So my question is what does it mean when your top number in blood pressure falls and the bottom number goes up? seams weird to me.

thanks for any help :)

The medical term for the difference between your systolic and diastolic BP numbers is Pulse Pressure. Normal BP would be 120/80 (120-80=40), so the pulse pressure would be 40. Your pulse pressure is a good measurement of your blood volume. It makes sense that a person with OI would have a supine pulse pressure of 61 (129-68) but that it would drop on standing to 20 (110-90). Any pulse pressure under 30 is low. You may actually have an adequate blood volume, but because you have OI your blood pools in inappropriate places and your brain detects low blood volume.

Your lower BP number is raised because your body is doing anything it can to get more blood to its brain. Hope that makes sense.

The medical term for the difference between your systolic and diastolic BP numbers is Pulse Pressure. Normal BP would be 120/80 (120-80=40), so the pulse pressure would be 40. Your pulse pressure is a good measurement of your blood volume. It makes sense that a person with OI would have a supine pulse pressure of 61 (129-68) but that it would drop on standing to 20 (110-90). Any pulse pressure under 30 is low. You may actually have an adequate blood volume, but because you have OI your blood pools in inappropriate places and your brain detects low blood volume.

Your lower BP number is raised because your body is doing anything it can to get more blood to its brain. Hope that makes sense.

I thinks I understand. basically it confirms my diagnosis is what Im getting from this. thanks so much for explaining it.