Salt Loading

My bp first went wonky this last winter (i had a litany of problems before this year). While I am on Midodrine, I learned through a freak heat wave last week that my body does not respond to heat well. My doctor recommended salt loading and extra fluids when it gets warm. How do I go about salt loading?

When I was searching for an answer for months, I drank tons of gatorade. But I hate salt and salty foods. I searched the local vitamin store but nowhere had salt tablets. Should I just be drinking salt water? :(

Thanks to all in advance!

Cheers,

Elizabeth

Hi lizababy,

WalGreens carries Theratabs which are salt tablets. If they don't have any on their shelves, they will order them for you. You can also Google Salt Tablets. There are several on there. Mountain Dew has a lot of Soduim followed by Dr. Pepper, than Pepsi & Coke. Soups and Broths have Soduim. Gatorade and Power Drinks do contain a lot of Soduim. Again Google High Soduim Products.

Hope this helps :)

My son takes the Thermotabs. I have to ask the pharmacist at Walgreens to get them from behind the counter for me. When they are out, he orders them. I have also gotten them from Amazon.com.

My son's doctor has him taking 6 tablets a day. 2 at breakfast, 2 at lunch and 2 more about 3 in the afternoon. I was told not to give them to him before bedtime, not sure why.

Christy

The search for high sodium foods is pretty much a bust. Irony of ironies, most high sodium foods I have been advised to steer clear of due to the connections to migraines (processed meats, MSG, cheese, etc).

I will have to check Walgreens. If I cannot find the Thermotabs there, I will simply order from amazon.

Will the Thermotabs have me drinking even more water?

Thanks so much!

Hello,

Haven't been on in a long time.

I've been doing really well for me. I attribute part of it to my increase in salt tabs. I used to use the therotabs--about 4 to 5 a day. They have in the last year come out with 1 gram salt tabs. That is a higher amount than the thermotabs. I take 4-5 of those a day and it has helped me tremendously. It helps me to retain the fluids I drink. I had a real problem with fluids going straight thru me. I drink at least 8 oz with each tab and that helps me retain it and helps me get enough liquid intake also.

My doc goes by what Vanderbilt University autonomic clinic recommends. They recommend up to 8 max grams of salt tabs a day.

You can ask any pharmacy to order them and they will. They are rarely on the shelves.

Try it you'll like it.