Itchy Rash, Brown Spots, Antibiotics....

So yesterday was day 5 of constantly low blood pressure....knock me out, lay on the floor low blood pressure. Top is in the 80's, had one episode where I was really jumpy.....77 on top. Mercy! And that's after 5 mg of Midodrine 3 times a day to raise it!!!!

I just happened to start Amoxicillin for a sinus infection 5 days ago. So I'm thinking that's the culprit. I am not taking any antihistamines right now......only pepcid and singulair. So 2 days ago I take 60 mg. of allegra and it really didn't seem to do anything....although that same day I was REALLY orthostatic....jumping around from 77/50 blood pressure up to 120/90 in just 3 minutes. Yesterday I took allegra 180 mg. in the afternoon. My throat started burning, I felt some weird breathing stuff but I figured I was in a hot car and extremely nervous about taking the stinkin' pill to begin with.

Well this morning I woke up and I have more brown spots, one the size of a dime, a lovely speckled rash, and some of my previous brown spots have turned red and swollen. What in the world?!? That has never happened before.

So is it my antibiotics, the dust mite ridden bed I sleep in, or the allegra???? One thought is lately I get adrenaline surges every night I lay in my bed. But that's after I take these antibiotics too. My allergies are always bad in the mornings.

I'm confused.....don't know if I should keep taking the antibiotics, or keep taking the allegra, or what?

I tried taking Claritin and don't tolerate it. I gotta find an antihistamine that works!!

I'm sorry you're having such trouble and wish I had better suggestions. For me, midodrine at that dose didn't do enough - I only really got benefit once I was on 10 mg every four hours, then 5 mg in the evening (35 mg total).

Have you tried Zyrtec? Gastrocrom? These seem to be helping me. And just to make it more complicated, it seems that even having a virus is enough to set some of us off, so it might be the underlying infection that is messing you up (at least in part).

I don't know if this is any comfort to you at this point, but I felt much like you about 6 months ago, and with time and POTS/MCAD treatment the tornado feeling of symptoms seems to be settling a bit (KNOCK WOOD!). Doxepin is one of my really key meds. Hang in there.

I'm just wondering....do us MCAD/masto POTS people.....do we get better??? Ya know, and lead normal-ish lives???? I remember when I first got all this and I was bedridden trying to be positive....I started on some meds and I got some better. I'm hoping and praying it will be the same with this. I'll get the right med and it will help me so much.

Jared-

I'm sorry you're doing so badly. Great ideas & suggestions above. It's hard to tell if it's the infection, the antibiotics or the H-1's and H-2's. Time and careful scientific observation (journal your symptoms/meds/other conditions) & trial and error will help you sort this out.

Do we MCAD/POTS people get better. Oh, yes!!! Do not lose hope once you get your DX and med regimen sorted out, I am very confident that you will find your new normal. I'm so much improved. I know you will be too.

Hang in there-

Julie