Anyone With Hyperparathyroid?

Hello all! I recently had a blood test in Sept. to check for abn. calcium and parathyroid, it all came back normal. Now, as of last week, both my calcium and parathyroid levels are high. I have to have a bone density test and a Sono of my neck to look at the parathyroids. Also I have to do a 24 hour urine.

Anyone gone through this? They say it might be what is causing my POTS. The symptoms for Abnormal Parathyroid are mostly identical to POTS patients.

Wish me luck:)

Same here...I've had "idiopathic" hyperparathyroidism for about 10 years. A million tests (including venous sampling), multiple sestamibi's, and 2 surgeries later...the best the docs can tell is that my parathyroids "look fine", so my problem might be absorptive (BMD is always fine) or a primary renal leak (as 24h urine calcium is very high).

Incidentally, I had many of these POTS symptoms years ago...and they magically went away when I started taking Sensipar 30mg. Now, they've all come back...so I'm not sure if the POTS was pre-existing or related to serum Ca++...

I have been tested, as I have had bone loss recorded when I was just 44. My vitamin D has been low for years, and calcium normal range. Occasionally it has been low, but mostly normal. I have made the connection before that high calcium causes alot of fluid loss, as the body is trying to get rid of the high calcium levels via urine.

I need to have my PTH checked again against a calcium level. I have been taking my vitamin D to get the D levels up. I know if you read on a certain parathyroid website, the doctor says that if your D is low, it might not just be due to lack of sun or diet measures. It might be because you have parathyroid issues that your body is purposely keeping the D levels low to prevent further absorption of calcium from the diet.

I am testing this out by seriously taking my D and then seeing how all my numbers settle out. If high, then a doctor visit I will make. My body has had an "aversion" to calcium for about 10 years. I've tried taking it with 2x magnesium over calcium to see if that would help, but it didn't. I don't know why my body doesn't like calcium. For some reason I do fine with the prescr. vit D.

Definitely let us know what you find out, and in the long run, treatment helps.

I would like to mention that I have had a life-long issue with bone metabolism. In my pediatric records, it states that there was some osteoporosis going on. I did not remember seeing a PTH or anything in depth done(my dad was in military, so I had got my whole medical file at 18). I have never had my bone metabolism looked at in depth as an adult, because the only issue I have is a few slightly crooked bones and scoliosis, no pain. Maybe I need to have the calcium metabolism issue looked into?

If you suspect that your serum Ca++ is high because of absorption...you can try adding some magnesium citrate and potassium phytate fiber in your diet. Supposedly, phytate salts "bind" to calcium and reduce overall absorption/excretion....and magnesium citrate is known to reduce hypercalciuria.