What Is 'validating' On Members List

I just recently joined up and for couple of days couldnt understand why my registration hadnt been completed until i read instructions properly!

I hadto email my details, diagnosis etc to forum moderator in order to complete the registration, up until that point i was listed as Validating too.

Id say these members did the same, never emailed and didnt complete the process!

The guest number can be misleading. Members not logged into their account, e.g. using a work or different computer, will show as guests.

Michelle and the other wonderful Dinet volunteers have made sure that info is available to all through Google search. Some people will end up here as guests while they try to understand their or family members symptoms. The huge growth in use of this site has got to be what has become overwhelming for Michelle and why she needs a break.

Validating members are ones who have not yet completed the registration process. There are two steps to finalize forum registration. One is to click on the link in the validation email sent to the new member. The second step is sending an email to Nina and me in which the new member needs to state their name, screen name, and diagnosis or suspected diagnosis. These instructions are clearly stated at the beginning of the registration process. After receiving an email from the validating member, Nina or I then manually approve the account. We realize that this creates an extra hassle for the members (and for us!), but it prevents spam accounts from making it onto the forum. Before this extra step in the registration process was added, there would often be spam accounts created that would then fill the forum with ads for medicine (similar to spam medication ads that you might get in your junk email folder).

Some of the members who are validating probably did not fully read the instructions to complete the process. Others decide that they didn't really want to participate in the forum and chose to not complete their registration. Some of the other validating members you see are spam accounts that couldn't make it past the final step in the validation process.

Rachel