Anyone Been To The Nih?

Has anyone here been to the NIH? I saw my nephrologist yesterday and he also encouraged me to see Dr. Grubb. Yay! If seeing Dr. Grubb isn't conclusive, he's writing a letter to the NIH to see if they will accept me.

Just wondering if anyone here has been to the NIH and if so, what did you think of your workup? Was it conclusive?

Victoria,

I have not had any experience with going to NIH (can I come along?), but from what I hear about Dr. Grubb, I think you may get your answers there. Would you shoot me an email or PM me and let me know who you see in Iowa? If I end up moving there, I'd like to know there's someone knowledgeable instead of driving to Rochester to Mayo Clinic all of the time. I'm guessing Iowa City?

Cheers,

Jana

I spent a week at NIH. I was not properly diagnosed before I went there. (sent there by Johns Hopkins). I would NEVER go again. The best way to describe it is that you are a lab rat. My chart was kept locked up ( so I couldn't read it) at all times. Also I have no idea how much radiation ect. I was exposed to. They are about scientific research NOT patient care.

The nurses i had were very nice and even got me a cake for my 30th birthday. It is not like a normal hospital. They have an agenda to do research on subjects. I would only go there as a very last resort. Feel free to write me if you have any questions. I should have gone to Mayo sooner. NIH is one of those this I wish I could "take back". But I really liked and trusted my doctor... so I went. Nothing good came out of it... all bad!