24 Hour Urine Histamine Test

jenwic

I went to Dr. Bernstein in Cincinnati to be tested for MCAD. He ordered several tests including the 24 hour urine histamine. I asked him if I needed to go off the Claritin I had been taking and he said no. I went to the hospital and the lab tech told me I had to go off any antihistamines for 24 hours or more before the test.

When I got home I emailed Dr. Bernstein's office and asked about the Claritin again. I got an email back that said to go off the Claritin for 3 DAYS before the test. I stopped taking the Claritin today but I'm confused. I read somewhere online that antihistamines don't get rid of histamines in your body but they change the way your body reacts to them so the count wouldn't change.

Also, I asked him in the email about avoiding high histamine foods during the test and he said yes, I should avoid them. They are one of my big triggers. Will my test be accurate if I avoid them?