Orthostatic Intolerance: Dr. Julian Stewart

Good inforation as long as you're orthostatic HYPOTENSIVE. You sure don't see much research on the orthostatic hypertensive group. Just as an aside, when I was first pushing to get a TTT my neuro told me you don't have POTS because you don't pass out..... :o I wonder if this is even being taught in medical schools yet?

Good inforation as long as you're orthostatic HYPOTENSIVE. You sure don't see much research on the orthostatic hypertensive group. Just as an aside, when I was first pushing to get a TTT my neuro told me you don't have POTS because you don't pass out..... :o I wonder if this is even being taught in medical schools yet?

Actually, Dr. Robertson at Vandy IS doing research into orthostatic HYPERtension. He has one older article out with a Nephrologist: When pressor reflexes overcompensate (Article link). And then there was another recent article, but I can only get it in abstract form. We are the minority of a minority and so less understood.

Hypertension. 2011 Feb;57(2):158-9. Epub 2011 Jan 3.

Orthostatic hypertension: the last hemodynamic frontier.

Robertson D.

Comment on:

* Hypertension. 2011 Feb;57(2):167-73.

PMID: 21199993 [PubMed - in process]

Orthostatic Intolerance/POTS

This is a really good overview and has "meat."

Thanks for this article. I was able to pull some things out of it to bring up at my next appointment. He has already said he would probably start me on Mestinon at my next visit in May, but I am also going to ask him if a Nitric Oxide supplement would be beneficial.

I found the part about hypocapnia contributing to cerebral vasoconstriction very interesting, as the air hunger I get is one of the worst symptoms. It is just as debilitating as the nerve pain.

Thanks again!

Thank you... I'll read it more thoroughly later - my brain not working - doesn't help Rachel Ray's chattering in the background lol... I know I have normal catecholamines with lying down - and they quick go up with standing - I think most peoples does - but nonetheless the doctor thinks thats part of the reason why I have big rises in b/p with standing.... I am really tired of trying to figure it out.... It seems like it would be fun and challenging to 'doc' patients with these symptoms - pharmacologically and other ways too... But when it's me personally - I'm sick of feeling sick - and it's just not fun anymore LOL.... When I've felt cruddy after a very high morning b/p the last 2 days - and check my b/p standing - yep it's 90's over 60's and I am symptomatic with that -- my heartrate though is suppressed with the beta blocker so it's okay these days.... Again thanks for sharing what you found.. I subscribe to that page and now and again find cool stuff too!