Better Ways To Survive The Cold

It's that time of year again where I will need to be outside watching my oldest for Rugby matches. I absolutely love it but I have such a hard time in the cold. Last week we had a friendly match and it was 29 degrees outside! I had about 20 layers of clothes on and only made it about an hour before having to go into the car. What I notice is I do ok when I'm there but when I get home I get so very sleepy and can not do much of anything afterwards. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prepare my body for the cold? Should I just plan on being a couch potato after every match? Your thoughts are appreciated!

KC

You can get "rechargeable" heating packets from an outdoors/hunting store. My husband bought mine from Wal-Mart and REI. You click this metal disc inside the bag and it sets off a chemical reaction that creates heat for at least an hour. You could get several and put them in your pockets and socks. They are too hot to just hold, so they need to be wrapped in a cloth or put in a pocket. They are really good to put in the abdominal pockets of zipped-up sweatshirts...keeps the core warm.

KC -- I have no idea how to keep warm. I have to give you a lot of credit for attempting to sit outside in 27 degree weather. You're a great mom! It was in the 40's here today and I was so cold in my house (which was supposedly 71 degrees)... I wanted to cry at the thought of having to go pick my son up from school. Those warmer things Firewatcher mentioned sound really good. I'll have to look for those. CAN'T WAIT FOR SPRING!

This is what hubby got for me:

Reuasable hand warmers from REI

You just boil them for seven minutes and they return to their gel state to be used again. Eventually, they won't work anymore, but it took dozens of times for that to happen. Just google reusable hand warmers and you can find others. :D

Amazon.com has this BIG one in stock! Looks great to slide under a coat over your tummy!

Big heat pad

Edited by firewatcher

Thanks Firewatcher! I will try those this weekend and see how I do. Naomi-I dont know what it is with the cold but some days I am "ok" and then others I am freezing all day long! I wear long johns, 2 shirts with a sweatshirt, thick socks and I will still need the heating pad on my legs to keep them warm! It drives me crazy and I'm so ready for 65degrees and above! Ok well not too far above because the problems just start again with the heat right? LOL!