Elevated Bp And Hr

DIXZELAND

Here lately the past 4 days, my medication Clonidine is not helping with my excellerated bp and hr. Will it eventually come down on its own? The only relief I get from it is when I lay down. But as soon as I get up to go to the bathroom, etc., there is goes again.

Anyone have any answers to this or experienced this? I am in a wheelchair, but just being upright causes it to go haywire.

I am quite concerned as it has never lasted this long while being on medication.

Thanks,

Dixie

It sounds like you are having a flare up. For most people POTS symptoms are a moving target with some days better than others.

I would track the bp and hr and call my doctor. They may want you to adjust your meds to get you through the flare up and/or increase fluids (for me, increasing fluids often brings bp down when it is higher than normal).

I had a bd flare up in April--my bp went up to 160/90. I was already taking a beta blocker. My dr had me triple my dose, and then a week later the flare seemed to have ended bc my bp was way down (and I felt better) so I weaned back down.

Hope you feel better soon.

Katherine

It sounds like you are having a flare up. For most people POTS symptoms are a moving target with some days better than others.

I would track the bp and hr and call my doctor. They may want you to adjust your meds to get you through the flare up and/or increase fluids (for me, increasing fluids often brings bp down when it is higher than normal).

I had a bd flare up in April--my bp went up to 160/90. I was already taking a beta blocker. My dr had me triple my dose, and then a week later the flare seemed to have ended bc my bp was way down (and I felt better) so I weaned back down.

Hope you feel better soon.

Katherine

My POTS doctor suggested getting a Home Health Nurse to come to my house to give me IV fluids. I drink so much on my own that I spend half the time in the bathroom. But I guess it might be worth the effort to try.

tthanks~Dixie

I have the same problem when my POTS makes me orthostatic...my BP goes up rather than down. Just this morning my BP reading on a wrist cuff was 160/117 so I took it manually. I found that I was 140/90 while sitting and 150/100 while standing. I'm sure if I took it again after standing for a period of time it'd be even higher but I know better than to stand for too long. What do I do when this happens? Fluid, fluid, fluid. I normally drink over 4L/day so I usually get symptoms when I'm slow to get the fluid in. My cardiologist will not recommend IVF as long as I can drink it...afterall, that's less invasive and you have a less chance of complications (infection, vasovagal response from IV start, etc). I hope you start feeling better and do what you need (i.e. lying down) to keep it from getting too high.

My BP is high also. Many docs don't know that BP can be very high with POTS.It is hard to manage and so destructive, scary. Mine will be very high, then a few days of sort of high, then much better.. Never low on the bottom number.