Ongoing Back Pain

lissy

I have been dealing with this chronic back pain *seems muscular* and it moves around from upper near neck to the middle and I did tell my doc last month she did an Xray and said take a muscle relaxer....me and meds don't mix! and I thought anyway why should I just take a pill when something could be actually causing this?? The pain is severe and has been daily for a few years I did have a MRI of the neck last year checking for Chiari but that was neg. also I woke up with my shoulder feeling out of place with pain when I move it in certain directions.

I'm so tired of having so many problems and never knowing what is causing it.

Lissy

Yes, I've had worsening back pain too since getting POTS. But I was also in a car accident in 2006 that required hip surgeries and my back's never been the same since then. But I can tell the difference between the aching muscles and occasional radicular symptoms related to my hip injury, versus the strange itching and burning in my back that feels more like my small fiber neuropathy pain. However, POTS patients often have "coat hanger pain" which can be pain in the upper back/shoulders/neck related to lack of blood flow.

I also get really bad back pain, and mine is soft tissue. It's upper, middle and lower, it moves from week to week. Add this to all of the joint pain and I'm just a ball of fun...... :lol: It's part of the reason when people ask how I feel........I tell them like an 80 year old :P But I will say my back pain is much worse the longer I stand.

Wow--thanks "thankful" for the heads up on "coat hanger" pain. That describes me to a "T"! I was rear-ended in '88 by a Caddy going 45 mph while I was in my Honda stopped at a red light. I've never been the same since. Lately I too have been having horrible pain in my neck radiating to the deltoids, numbness, and hand tingling and numbness. I can only sleep on my back. I haven't had an MRI in 10 years (last MRI showed spondylosis with soft tissue touching the spinal cord in several places) and was just scheduled for another MRI on the 24th. They took X-rays first and surprise--they also want to do the thoracic and lumbar area. The thoracic pain radiates to the chest and if I didn't know it wasn't a heart attack (I've been recently tested thoroughly), I'd be in the ER everyday!