Now I'm Starting To Faint? What?

Sarah4444

Overall I am doing better. I was totally bedridden for months last year, but once I figured out this is POTS and got some meds going things have improved. I still am far from normal/functional but at least am no longer bedridden.

However, over the past couple of weeks I have had two very near-fainting episodes. I usually just have the intolerable orthostatic intolerance/not enough blood in my head/major fatigue feeling along with a bunch of other things, and haven't passed out since one time in the 80s. One recent episode was after seeing a lot of blood after a child bit her tongue badly and then coming inside from being very cold, and the other was in the shower trying to shave my legs (I got the "LIE DOWN!" feeling but have always been able to push through it long enough to do things like finish shaving a leg).

Why, after all these years, and now that I am on more midodrine (35 mg total) would I start having these episodes at this point? My only theory is that the increased midodrine dose is dulling the "have to lie down now" feeling and I am pushing farther into it than I realize, but this is new and any input would be very appreciated.

the other was in the shower trying to shave my legs (I got the "LIE DOWN!" feeling but have always been able to push through it long enough to do things like finish shaving a leg).

Why, after all these years, and now that I am on more midodrine (35 mg total) would I start having these episodes at this point? My only theory is that the increased midodrine dose is dulling the "have to lie down now" feeling and I am pushing farther into it than I realize, but this is new and any input would be very appreciated.

You don't say whether you were standing in the shower trying to shave your legs. This would put you in a bend over position in a warm environment - two things which we are told to minimize. I think that as EDsers age some of these things are harder to ignore. You are on track with how I went.

Your theory on the midodrine is good. It is tough for me to comment as I have always pushed too hard and not done myself any favors by doing so.

Hope things settle down for you,

noreen

Oh Sarah-

I hate to hear that. You probably already know this, but you are perfectly describing neurally mediated hypotension NMH that often goes hand-in-hand with POTS. I have both too.

Your midodrine theory is good, BUT that's supposed to help with syncope :blink: Have you ever tried florinef? I use it for brief periods, a month here and there when things get bad. It should also help your MCAD.

Sorry-

Julie

You are right, I was trying to steal a quick shower standing up. Absurd, the things we are penalized for. For those of you who added fainting to their delightful repertoire, if I avoid things like trying to shower standing up and getting really cold then warming up too fast (hard to avoid way up here in the North!), is it likely I will have to worry about fainting in other, less orthostatically stressful situations?

I don't want to stop driving again. I can do so few things that feel normal.

You are right, I was trying to steal a quick shower standing up. Absurd, the things we are penalized for. For those of you who added fainting to their delightful repertoire, if I avoid things like trying to shower standing up and getting really cold then warming up too fast (hard to avoid way up here in the North!), is it likely I will have to worry about fainting in other, less orthostatically stressful situations?

I don't want to stop driving again. I can do so few things that feel normal.

After you started to feel a wee bit better, you began doing 'normal people' things. Avoid those things and you'll be fine.

((hugs))

noreen