Tilting Bed

bella27

I am sure someone has written about this before but I can't find it anywhere. So apologies for the repeat...

I am so confused as to why propping up front posts of your bed a few inches helps POTS symptoms. My biggest symptom by far is brain fog and that improves when I lie down and worsens when I stand for long periods. Slanting my bed upwards leans my body in a more "standing" position so you would think it would worsen my symptoms the way standing does. All this being said, I tilted my bed last night and do feel a bit better. I just would really like to understand why. Thanks in advance for your help!

Rachel

My doctor had me raise the head of my bed by 4 inches. It puts me at an more upright position so to help my blood pressure regulate better so when I go to get up in the morning it doesn't have to work so hard and become high so suddenly. I struggle with high bp when standing. My doctor said it will take about 3 weeks for my body to adjust to this slanted position. And it did. Hope this makes sense to you :)

Dixie

Thanks Dixie. Maybe I need more time to adjust. Its funny because I noticed that it helped with some of my brain fog issues (I was able to speak more clearly and concisely and it helped with verbal memory) but seemed to hurt with other areas - my brain seemed foggy when reading, for example. This disorder is endlessly confusing...

Rachel

Intriguingly, I also read somewhere (prob here!) that some subgroups of patients actually do worse with their bed tilted. I can't remember the explanation but it made sense at the time.

Will be interested to follow this thread and read any info on why it does/doesn't help various people.

Glad you felt a little better though when you tried it, Bella.