Pots \ Hospitalization

Guest tearose

A disgrace to psychiatry as we know it. Yet I have an opinion of psychiatry today that is very very poor anyway. How in the world did your presentation fit the 'harmful to self, and/or others' how did this get you (this is assumption) in a locked psych ward? Committed? What was the diagnosis and based on what observations/symptoms?

<--sry but c'mon! Religiousness vs. Religiosity? Did they think you were full blown psychotic? Enough so that you were forced by staff to do things against your will? A holy pious soul tormented because why? They heaven forbid pray, praise God, employ gentleness and compassion, forgiveness and healing, loving when it hurts in imitation of our Lord?

And somehow pills were going to cure you from this list of perceived ills? Isn't that just grand - shove pills down a living breathing human's throat to fix 'em? You saw what medication had done to those people! It's quite enlightening how the world spends billions on pharmaceuticals for depression and anxiety - yet do we have any less of it around today? No! So what do they do to poor people who's brains are in a fog from the so called "medicine"? Add MORE medicine - yeah that ought to do the trick! Meanwhile draning pocketbooks and self-esteem, intuitive smarts and clarity of thought, polluting the waters with urine drug metabolites, filling the eco-system with prozac and all the rest. Ruining other perfect systems - body weight, kidney and liver function, ability to think rationally. On the positive side some of these meds are used today for medical purposes to good effect - but I am not a proponent for the pill-pushing psychiatrist community so prevalent today using meds as an answer to treat almost every patient they see in a day.

Heaven forbid that insurance would actually pay well for a treatment plan for suffering humanity - that made sense! Such as tackling their issues with love and patience in a counseling venue - where the treating clinician was actually trained well in helping people in struggles - be they domestic partner issues, health issues, parenting issues, nuclear family issues, school and work issues. Let alone help for those in crisis from trauma in life of any kind - that require care in an intensely focused manner and program. But no - most often it is much more lucrative to dose out pills one after another -- each wreacking havoc in the brains very sensitive operation.... Pay a buck for a Prozac - or pay a good amount to truly help the person face to face with talk therapy or intensive care programs. They push the pills ad nauseum and flood television with commercials that children view of sad wind up dolls that need "cranking" to get through a day (gosh could it be from the 9 meds that dolls up to as of late?)

It's disturbing to read how a professional in the healthcare field could be so naive (or stupid?) As to mix up and mistreat a person/patient for the fact that they nurture a prayerful interior life -- with someone who is psychotic with religiosity being the focus of their symptoms or psychosis. Yet a couple of years ago I had something happen that could have blossomed into a like experience -- for mentioning a major life trauma in my past in passing at an office visit. I had told another doctor this history and he was sympathetic and listening -- yet when I told a new doctor - the litany began to strongly suggest I see a shrink. My remedy to the problem was to continue on my path sure and strong in finding root causes of physical symptoms that lie in neurology, physical medicine and rehab and other medical disciplines. When I think back to that time - I thank God I didn't get 'forced' to do anything and had the grace to stick to my guns in viewing the physician with unresolved fear issues perhaps or other problems that lead to faulty clinical practice. Later I was blessed with insight into this doctors reputation in the community ..."she's an odd duck for sure"

Thank God for that Judge who spoke His words to set you free - Freedom of mind, behaviour, all of it - purely free as it should be. Cling to your God and trust all is for His Glory. Many a saint endured like injustices ~ I'm sure they were looking out for you in your ordeal. Keep healing and keep your peace. I'm grateful you made it through intact and perhaps down the road this mess will prove out to have some purposeful use that you will become aware of .... I know you are courageous and I thank you for sharing your story. Hang in there!

Guest tearose

Thank you for your continued additional comments!

Your loving outpouring of support, compassionate-outrage and encouragement have been of such great help as I heal from this unbelievable experience.

To clarify some questions...although we consider our (prayer/meditation/spiritual study) to be part of our coping skills and "spiritual" some doctors want to label it "religiosity" to support their opinion that our POTS/Dysautonomia is secondary to a mental illness!!!

I am still struggling with the spiritual mature sense of moving on and the sense of responsibility to perhaps take some legal action to help prevent others from having to go through this.

The fact that the Judge ruled in my favor speaks volumes and that may be enough. It is now in my medical record that I have a psych hospitalization and that will never go away. I get to carry this trauma for the rest of my life! After the one forced dose of drugs that made me blank out, I was unmedicated and in a locked psych ward for five additional days! How ever does someone get fully healed from this?

I humbly take all suggestions and prayers.

tearose