Migraines And Autonomic Neuropathy

stacdliw

I am taking two 50mg Topamax daily for migraine prevention and I am still getting in excess of nine migraines a month. I tried Atentol for more than a year and it wasn't as effective as the Topamax. When I feel a migraine beginning, I first try to avert it with Excedrine Migraine then if that doesn't help, I take one of my prescription migraine meds, Relpax. Right now, I only have a prescription for 9 Relpax per month, but I think I'm going to have to ask my doctor to write a prescription for 12, the maximum by insurance allows. My migraines can be so severe that I often have to take two daily and I'm always scared that by the end of the month I'll run out. I don't know what I would do without my prescription migraine medication!

I was wondering if taking the preventive medication is even worthwhile with dysautonomia. Of course, I don't know how many migraines I would be having if I stopped the Topamx, but I can't imagine it could be worse than what I have now. Has anyone else been prescribed a migraine preventive medication by their neurologist for their migraines caused by their autonomic neuropathy. Mine was prescribed by my internist prior to AN diagnosis.

Thanks,

Bev Ray

Bev Ray,

My son is 14 and weighs about 140. He takes 200 mg of Topamax twice a day to help with his migraines. He had to have the amount adjusted this year. He takes Topamax to help with his migraines and he has POTS. He still has headaches daily but if he misses a dose of his Topamax, he can definitely tell. His headaches are more severe. He takes Tylenol but just recently told me it doesn't help. He has tried prescription medication to help but the one he tried makes them worse. Topamax seems to help him but he still has headaches daily.

Hope

Hi Bev Ray,

I'm sorry you are having so many migraines each month. They certainly make life difficult. It sounds like you probably need to have your medication adjusted by your doctor. 50mg of Topamax isn't very much, especially considering the number of migraines you still get each month. It would probably be helpful to go to a neurologist to discuss your migraines and a better treatment plan.

I don't have a diagnosis of autonomic neuropathy, but I do have dysautonomia, and I have found that preventative migraine medications are helpful.

I hope you can find something that works for you.

Rachel

My son took Topamax for 5 months 2 years ago. He has POTS and was experienceing migraines. He stopped having migraines immediately taking the topomax. We thought he hadnt had any since then either, but 2 neurologists have confirmed that he is still having them but they are either silent or without pain. That is better than having the painful ones in my opinion. He would have to go to the ER to get rid of his migraines once it started, it wouldn't stop.

The side effects of the topamax (nicknamed dopamax) were to much, so he had to stop taking it. But the painful migraines never returned, so I guess that is a plus.

Relpax is also my migraine drug of choice. I treat them like gold. I don't want to waste them on just any headache, so I wait until it escalates before I decide if I am going to take a relpax.

This sounds nuts, but I started having migraines for the first time in late 2005/early 2006, then had many a month for years, but starting this spring when my POTS got really bad, the migraines got less severe and less frequent.

I did take Topamax for at least a year during this time (2007-8ish) and it seemed to help, but when my neurologist weaned me off, they didn't get worse. I wish I knew what was going on, sorry not to be of more help.