Lots Of Tachycardia Lately, Its Starting To Take All My Energy

Well it sure is a cold winter here in Ireland. I seem to be getting lots of Tachycardia the last 3-4 weeks I have been off all meds 2 months now and have my follow up Tilt on Monday in Dublin and then a follow up with the professor. All this Tachycardia is taking all my energy but! when I go to be at night is feels like my body is still going although im lying still in bed bodth body and mind are wide awake still going 100 miles an hour. Can anyone suggest something to help me I'm thinking along the lines of xanax a light dose before bed may help but this may also make me drowsy the next day even more tired and groggy. Please help

Hey Jonathan - The 20 mg. doxepin I was prescribed for mast cell activation is helping me sleep better. I also find that mindfulness meditation helps me slow down enough to fall asleep. There's a book called Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat Zinn that has a good program for living with chronic illness. It's been quite unpleasant here in Canada too and I have also been having more trouble with tachycardia than I had for a while - do you feel the cold is related to your symptoms increasing?

absolutely yeah I think the weather has a major role on the more sever tachycardia. I guess maybe the heart is trying to pump blood round the body faster to try heat us up something along those lines maybe. Thats funny I just cam across doxepin just before I cam on here and read your post thats weird hu? ;-P have to any sedative effects with this drug? the next day that is I want something that isnot gonna effect me the next day. and I suppose I dont really want something thats gonna make me depressed either ya know. I just need something low dosed that will help me relax into normal sleep at night and that will have worn off by the time I wake up so I dont find it harder in the morning to drag myself outta bed

So far that's how doxepin has been helping - I fall asleep more easily, stay asleep better and it doesn't make me groggier than usual the next day. I have only been taking it a few weeks, though and others find it quite sedating - some only take 10 mg. Let me know what happens if you try it, and good luck.

Jonathan,

I can certainly relate to the problems increasing with colder weather, or any weather changes for that sake. I log my HR changes in a database every few days or so or when i'm having particularly good or bad days and have certainly noticed the increased tachycardia when I'm in cold weather. Makes sense though (unfortunately) since the autonomic system basically controls our ability to adapt to different environments. Warm weather is tough also for me. Even warm showers always put my HR over 120 even on good days. My resting is typically 50-70 lying down.

But I personally do take Xanax when I'm in situations like you are where i just can't calm my system down and it becomes just to debilitating and agonizing to tolerate. I'm about 190lbs and .25mg (the lowest dose you can get) typically does the trick for me. Because i take it sparingly i've never had any addiction issues and haven't had any problems with drowsyness the next day. If anything it does help me sleep better. Although it's obviously not any type of cure I've found it to provide a good amount of relief when I'm desperate.

Hopefully the Benzo route will help calm you down and provide some much needed and deserved relief. Best of luck to you.

I take xanax about 30 minutes before going to bed. It feels like my adrenaline doesn't shut off when I lay down. It doesn't help with that feeling but it makes me fall asleep sooner so I don't have to deal with that feeling as long. Not groggy the next day because of it.

Brye